have gotten multiple bad parts from
    VTWIN (floats, coils, brakes) and they all
    seem to be made in India (crap) and they
    where all supplied by VTWIN. Thanks to
    the forum I didnt buy an India battery
    and damage my paint !!! But it seems
    that VTWIN has shifted to all INDIA parts
    and there is NO, ZERO, NADA quality
    control (you get what you will pay for).
    Anyone else have such problems ???/

I think EVERYONE'S had this problem.
    V-Twin buys from hundreds of vendors and manufacturers and can't control the quality of them all.
    Your best bet is to buy from a dealer that reps 45" Parts Depot or Eastern.
    Try Lonnie at Antique Cycle Supply. He'll shoot you straight as to the quality of what he sells and tell you where it's made.
    You can also try Pa & Kat at http://www.vtwinrebuild.com/. They can probably order you anything you want.

Comment

Did you contact them and give them a chance to make it good ? Id like to know this,that usually makes or brakes a deal for me if they take care of it Im fine if not well we all know the drill! Good Luck !!

Comment

I agree with that.

Do you act like a cat in a cat box or do you step up and make it good.

Comment

Folks have had problems with V-Twin products for years. Same with a lot of other co.'s that offer reproduction items including seats and saddlebags. If you are going to the trouble to reproduce these items, why not make them correct. I guess that is why I am still in business!!! Inline this is a new subject, OK !!!! LOL, LOL

Comment

I have found that it is not possible to communicate with VTWIN. They only
            talk to their dealers, not to users of their
            parts. The dealer that supplied the parts did send replacements, which also failed!
            I do not feel it is the fault of the dealer that the parts they are getting an bad for they cant open and inspect everything.
            If you are going to go off-shore to get
            your products made then you have in place a system of quality control to ensure that the parts are as they should be. I work in the computer indusry and most of the parts of our systems are made off-shore but are subject to stiff quality control else the vendors are cut off. Seems VTWIN doesnt give a damm, just ship the crap and if it fails so what. And if we the users of this stuff keep buying what is going to change. I for one will try very hard to avoid VTWIN, and if other also stop buying maybe they will stop such practices.

Comment

tiwan ted he's called around here. have had alot of trouble with items like oil pumps ect where tolerances are a must. also tin fitment has been a problem.

Comment

Giving credit where credit is due - VTwin is about the only option in many cases. Some of the parts work out, but be prepared to go to worrk when you get the part. Sheet metal is the worst.
                Examples:
                1> Having to cut and extend springer front fender braces in order to get the fender to align. Fenders are a bit too wide and some have the front portion skewed requiring re-fabbing.
                2> Having to beat the Hades out of the inside of the replica knucklehead fuel tanks to get them to fit over the frame rails, plus modification around the dash pocket.
                However, when you consider that really nice real springer fenders will bring over $1,000 on Ebay and I saw an NOS left side '41-'46 knuckle tank bring over $1,000, you just have to do the work. I believe the term is "sweat equity".
                I've seen many of VTwin's mechanical parts do well. Get your own copy of his catalog and you will see multiple vendors for many parts, Including S&S and Eastern.
                The Sifton line has presented problems - I've seen one problem with the Big Twin gear case gearsets, where it appeared one gear center was off-centered causing the gears to get tight in one spot while rotating.
                The '41 - '45 BT neck casting they sell is all wrong! Don't waste your money or time! Check with Raceframe out of Australia.
                In essence, with very few alternatives, provided your dealer will support you and push Tedd, you can get reasonable satisfaction.
                Lonnie

Comment

I appreciate the responces. Hopefully
                  some other person, new to restoration, as
                  I am will be forwarned when ordering for
                  VTWIN, you can not trust the parts. When you are new at this you dont have the experience to know that you did it right, the part is bad.......

Comment

I'm a dealer for V-Twin and I buy from them as a last resort. I have bought some of his so called replica parts and thrown them in the trash. He won't take them back. He does however have parts when others do not. Example, I just bought an oil pump from him that nobody else had. It was an oem part cost me more than retail,but my customer was happy that he could get it.
                    Just beware!!!!

Comment

I can only remember the last fifteen or so years that I have dealt with Tedd's, but I cannot recollect ever having a return refused.

Faulty hardware only cost me return shipping. Even stuff I ordered wrong was only bumped by the customary restocking charge.

It helps to be polite.

....Cotten

Comment

Though not a dealer myself, I have two close friends who are. Both have said that they have sent parts back to Tedd, either as a result of mis-ordering or defective parts. You have to go thru the RA (Returns Authorization) process and get that number before you return - UPS charges at your expense of course. What I found interesting is that both said that while you get a credit on your account, you have to let the customer reps know you have a credit if you want to apply it to a subsequent order, it does not automatically apply as with Drag and others.
                        Based on what I have personally used, most of the "Replica" parts are of better quality than the normal run-of-the-mill reproduction parts (at a significant price), but even they require work to make them work. Examples are the tin inner primaries with the oil deflector in the wrong position and the springer front fenders that require brace modification for proper fitment. Considering that "real" parts at a swapmeet, most of which look like elephants have trodden on them before being left outside for two centuries, typically require scads of work, also at significant price, to repair and make fit.
                        But, when Tedd is all we have we just have to work it out.

Lonnie

Comment

No more V-Twin parts for me. You have to modify everthing, if you can get it to work. Antique Cylce Supply has helped me.
                          Michael

Comment

I waited a year for lonnie at antique cycle supply to find a original ignition switch for a 68 ironhead with a mag. He called me when he found a few. that was the best service I had ever got. it took a while but he came thru for me. Also was looking for some case screws for a 34 single. all the kits had too few, so lonnie had me call colony (he gave me a number and name) and they put a kit together for me. so now thats the first call i make. I been a customer since the early 80's and hope to help keep him in business!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X