H.D. crankcase 6003 DG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.D. crankcase 6003 DG

A recent visit to the local Scrap Metal Dealer to get rid of steel scrap saw me hanging over the edge of the large alloy bin while talking to the owner. During this conversation the drive side half of a motorcycle crankcase caught my eye and a request resulted in,"if you want it you better dive in and grab it".
    What I pulled out is H.D. and stamped 6003 DG.
    I presume that this is from a 1910 model single Harley.
    Am I correct ? and if so is this from the 3rd bike produced that year and what does DG signify.
    I have no intention what-so-ever in trying to build a bike around this crankcase half but what verification does give us is the first hard evidence of what was possibly the earliest Harley in N.Z.
    O.K. fellas what exactly have I found.
    Tommo

I know nothing about Harley's earlier than my '20 Sport model, but whats interesting is the "D" represented the early Twins in 1909, 11-12. None was listed in the "Legend Begins" book for 1910 under description but they list 1 "D" model twin made in 1910. Hopefully someone knows?

Louie

Comment

Louie,
      It's definately a single.
      Tommo

Comment

I take it from the lack of response and Louie's reply that it is definately from a 1910 model single but PLEASE! DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THE "DG" STANDS FOR.
        Waiting in anticipation.
        Tommo

Comment

Tommo, The DG is the designation for a 1914 single 10-B

Comment

I agree with Rodencal but would add that a H-D serial number followed by "DG" would be a 1914 single, but that it could be either model 10B or 10C.

Both were chain-drive singles with this difference:

10B--single speed
            10C-- 2-speed (in the rear hub)

Comment

Where's the picture?? Did I miss it? Why try to figure out what something is or isn't just from a number, without seeing it?

Pictures please !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Earl
                Where's the picture?? Did I miss it? Why try to figure out what something is or isn't just from a number, without seeing it?

Pictures please !!!!
                Pictures are nice if you can get 'em...but serial numbers are fun too and a science in themselves.

I'm still wondering if 1906 Harleys were numbered.

Comment

Earl,
                  Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been away getting more tests done on my heart.
                  Computors are a new thing to me and even after about 6 years of using them some of the functions still remain a mystery to me.
                  Resizing photographs to make them small enough to post is one of those mysterys I still can't master so I'm sorry no photos at present.

Tommo

Comment

Working...
                  X