Who has a good exhaust pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has a good exhaust pipe?

I need the complete exhaust on my 46' Chief. Has anybody bought one lately from the usual big guys that sell em? I have concerns on fit and finish and only want to do this once. I need to do this in the next few weeks. Any input will help. I just hate to throw a dart and try and hit the right one. Thanks

Todd at Jerry Greers Engineering has done a lot of work and design to make Indian exhaust correctly in the last few years. I am sure you will be pleased with his exhaust system. It is a class item with super fit and finish. They can be reached at 1-800-307-9027.
    Carl

Comment

I ordered it and received same. It seems to fit fine. I had to do a heat and bend to the header but that is a tight fit and not all Indian heads square up the same when bolted down. The muffler seams to fit good. Since this is a 46' I am also going to weld it up for a one piece system. Then off to the chrome shop. I will try to photo.

Comment

That's good to hear - thanks.

Due to the fitting of the manofold, cast nature of barrels, and the shape of the pipes. I've not heard of too many guys getting an exact fit without a little heat bending. Which always made me wonder why guys were buying chromed pipes to fit to these bikes? It's all custom fit. Well, it should be.

Any markings stamped into the muffler? like a name?

Comment

I bought the hole pipe kit from Jerry Greer Engineering. No markings but they are custom made with the mount tabs tack welded to allow for any change. You then weld up everything when it is properly fitted. Then chrome it and hope it still fits the same.

Comment

ive been watchin!

okay guys ,ive been watchin this thread ,as my exhaust woes with my 46 are 6 years old , i have recently scored a repop exhaust {not cheap i might ad~)from a fella on ebay .no wonder it was for sale ...everything lines up pretty good except the rear header needs to go to the rear of the bike 3/8 " i was gonna try and just bend this portion .....but you all started talkin heat . is this the only way?when i had to bend my fuel lines i filled them with sand to prevent kinks.{?} i plan on sending the pipes to my plater so ruined chrome is not an issue here.also ,any opinions on the one piece exhaust here .i have the correct 46 rear bracket but the tailpipe seems to want to go OVER the rear bumper. all the pics i see of most indians have the pipe going under ,,,,,,,,,,,i have two chiefs and they both go over as do several others my buds ride.is this one piece setup the hot setup ,or more prone to break?and whats the trick to getting the tailpipe to go below the bumper.it needs to go a long ways downwards.i realize im asking for alot of info here but this is the "next" portion of correcting my 46 , thanks guys

Comment

Well gezzz - I don't know alot. But, ya I think you've gotta heat bend it a bit. And I was reading off the VI that you have to dissassemble some stuff to fit the pipe as one piece. Hopefully someone who's been down this road will speak up. Eh? Huh? wadda ya say? Betcha Robin Markey would know.

Bend copper fuel lines with slip over -spring bender. Two hands, even pressure. I found a little heat on fittings after complete bolt up installation releases tension. An exact fit. Then remove and CAD plate -if you must.

Comment

I only had to bend the header 3/16 near the top where it goes into the head. It did cause a little distortion but I was able to grind and sand it out where the heat and bend was. You really don't want to do this if you can help it as the pipe loses it's shape. The pipe assy. came as a two piece, with the intent of welding it into a one piece for a 1946. This weld joint is no slip joint, as it is next to the muffler. Here I ground off about 1/8 on part of the end just to allow for an angle I needed. Now I can go ahead and TIG weld up the joint and all the tabs that were tack welded. I must say that they were in the perfect location to begin with. I will try to photo. My pipe goes under the fender bumper/brace a little.

Comment

Here is the exhaust work in progress photo, I hope.

Comment

send to me direct if needed.

Comment

The stainless steel system I bought from KIWI works well. The weld broke on intake side of the "muffler," but with everything bolted to the bike, nothing is going anywhere.
                      George Tinkham
                      Springfield, IL
                      www.virmc.com
                      AMCA # 1494
                      1941 Indian 841
                      1948 Indian Chief
                      1956 H-D KHK
                      1960 CH
                      1964 BMW R69S
                      1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                      1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
                      X