41 WLA Jiffy (side) Kick Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 WLA Jiffy (side) Kick Stand

I have a problem with my side kick stand dropping down when ridding. It happens after a few minutes, and makes making a left turn rather difficult Any ideas for keeping it in place while riding ?

Daniel

How about bungie cords? I know duct tape won't work because it is greasy.

Comment

Things like that are irritating but you know what the right fix is. You have to bite the bullet and replace the worn out parts and get the mechanism back to the where it originally was. You probably need a new spring or the square on your side stand is worn and rounded. You could re-weld and file it back to fit the spring plate which would take out the slop. The bottom line is fix it right and then you can worry about the next problem.

Comment

Thanks,
        I think I will start with a new spring and see what that does.

Comment

I have replaced the bushing and the spring, making sure the anchor hole for the spring was tight on both ends and ended up with just enough tension to keep the stand up. I think the HD engineers blew it on this one, every thing has to be near perfect to function properly.

Comment

In the past I have taken springs and shortened them a ring or two to tighten them up. A little muscle and some plyers. heat with propane torch if nesessary. Do not quench. air cool.

A common problem to many marques.

A good field event could be to see who can re-install a side spring the fastest with a straight slot screw driver. Could be difficult if your being timed. Pressure does that. I watched a guy try for half hour once. I offered to help twice. He refused. I watched and waited. After almost amputating a finger - I offer to show him an old trick. So I show him. Takes 5 secs. He's so blown away he gives me 20bucks. That was a funny day on the road.

Comment

Mine has been like that for about a year. I think the shortened spring is about my only hope to.

Comment

Are you using the spring bracket with the notch in it? The earlier ones do not have it and the stands work much better if the spring is centered over the leg in the notch. The bushing, casting and leg all need to be in really great condition to work right. Robbie

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I ordered a new spring from 45 Restoration and installed it. It turns out the old spring was a bit longer, and the wrong color (silver not black ?). The real problem was it was installed wrong, so the tension was actually pulling the stand down, not up !

Anyway, I installed the new spring the correct way and it works great. The rest of the stand was in fine shape.

Daniel

Comment

so much for my piece of firewood under the frame suggestion.............

Comment

Wow, 20 bucks for 5 secs of work (and 30 minutes of watching), pretty good pay!

Louie

Comment

I had this problem too. I know this is an old thread but I will throw in my 2 cents worth of knowedge. I'm new and have been surfing the topics. I think it's 45 Restoration that sells an oversize bushing. That worked for me for awhile and when I went off the road once into the ditch and just missing a power pole I decided I had to do something about it.
                        I bought a brass bushing close to inside dimension and ground out the casting until the bushing was a tight fit. Use some green sleeve locktite on it too. It works and feels like new. It's scary riding around knowing it could come down. I could finally take the piece of wire off holding it up.
                        Hope this helps others. I wonder if the seat post bushing would be the right size. Hmmm!

Comment

Working...
                        X