Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglss bags.

Hi surfdude.
    For the 62-67 bags, with the suitcase style latches, the price is really open. I passed a set of just the bottoms at Lima Sunday for $100.00. Not too bad. They needed some fixing, but fiberglass can always be repaired, though it isn't always cheap. The proper hardware is another thing, though. Buy whay t you can find right now, is what I say. Old Dude has some of it. There are about 30 separate pieces in each bag. Harley believes why do with one, what you can do with a hundred? The price you pay for stuff depends as much on your patience and effort as anything else. I put a low bid in on some bubble bags about 6 weeks ago, and lo and behold, I got them. The sale said no delivery, so I think a lot of people passed it by. I drove over, about 170 miles, and they are beautiful! The best set I ever got, no damage, with slight stress cracks around some rivets on the lids, for $127.00. I found a great Classic Car museum in the area and made a day of it. It is about having fun after all, isn't it?

I can think of three different conformities of the fiberglas (not Royalite) bags before '67

Which did you find?

...Cotten

Comment

thanks -- a friend has some in the garage that i am going to check out shortly. if not, then i have more reason to go to the swapmeets this spring and summer.

if they need repair, i'll just do the same thing as on surfboards -- a little resin, catalyst, qcell and some fiberglass fabric. sand it, paint it and good as new.

Comment

Fiberglass saddle bags

I think they were the full size, flat bottom, pure white. What are all the differences? I have heard of them but don't know myself.

Comment

What little I know:

'64's had the seal stapled to the bag, but '65+ had it glued to the lid.

'64-'65 were "flat-bottom", '66+ were rounded.

My 'original' '65 bags are orange inside, so I never know anything for certain.

....Cotten

Comment

Saddle bags

I know what you mean. The main parts of he bikes are well documented, but the accessories are another matter. I don't think some of it is as cut and dried as people think. I sure have seen some strange mixes. But that is what the forum is for: so we can all learn and have some fun doing it.

Comment

Was there any Factory solution to the sidecar frame/saddlebag interference problem?
              (Meaning: for mid '60s assemblies, of course.)

...Cotten

Comment

My understanding is that 63 and 64 bags are the blown type chopped fiberglass with the step on the backside. 63 had stapled seal to lower, 64 seal glued to lid. 65 and later were press mold fiberglass and the backside has no step. Apparently 63 bags also had a one yr. only latch.

Comment

Kyle!

I have two sets of 65's that are "blown glass" with flat bottoms.

I have never encountered any '63 bags, but the stapled seals were issued well into '64. Dealerships were probably doing the final assembly anyway.

Indented or not, sidecar frames will still bust out the bottom of the right side; Was there ever a Factory remedy?

....Cotten

Comment

Working...
                  X