Shovels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shovels

I must admit, I skipped right over Shovels originally. Went from Pna to '84 Evo, and never skipped a beat. Year before last I got a '72 FLH. A real, 74"er. I couldn't believe what a rat it was when i first rode. The forks would top out( still do), no brakes, popped a head gasket after a few hundred miles, leaked, etc. So, I set out to make it into a Rolls Royce. Wrong! Sportsters, you can make them the way you want, but unless you are on TV, with a machine shop, and big bucks, you better learn how to live with the big twins. So, I fixed the brakes, got good tires, did some wiring, James gaskets, and set out down the road. I have 5 bikes, but that darn Shovel just got to be addictive. I put 4500 miles on it last year, and will probably put more on this year, after i do the leaks on the base gaskets, lifter blocks, inner primary, etc. Other Harley people(yuppies) actually comment on the leaks when we go on rides. The nerve of some people. Of course, now that you want to call them antiques, the price is going sky high. Darn collectors, anyway. Don't get me started on museum pieces! If it ain't being ridden, oh well............. One thing: For the big Harleys, get roller rockers, and newer lifters, and a good oil pump. Mine has some other work to the heads, I am not a stroker or big bore fan. You could pull stumps with this bike! Vibration? Not really. I haen't had a Harley yet that vibrated a lot, like I hear about. You know what they say: If they're runnin' right.... The difference between the slab Shovels and my '72? They moved the distibutor, and mine has brakes and the lights don't dim. I have the 22 amper. Anyway, ride on with those Shovels. People that ride 'em are sure as heck interesting.

When the Evo cowboys say anything about my Shovelhead leaking, I just tell em that the oil is self changing!!!!

Comment

The only bike we have ever brought home from a HOG run on the truck was a new TC. Good old electronics!

Comment

Shovels and such

Been out of the loop lately working on a 47 WL but just had to view you guys. My only 2 riders are both shovels but not antique yet. One being a 78 and the other an 80. Point is way back a couple months ago we got a shovel site and I usually go there looking for just chatter and maybe some good views. Help me out here guys move the chat to the Trouble head site and we can be happy. Just for grins my 78 FXE does not leak and the 80 FLT marks it"s spot. Vibration is a personal thing some feel it some don't. Love It! Talk more on the Shovel site. YADA YADA hear no see no own no.

Comment

Hi Chris
          Yes this the kind of site we need. Just bikes, and info on them and the enjoyment we all get from them.

Comment

Chris--Well stated--We practically had to twist Paul's arm to give us our own section of the last of the real Harley-Davidson Motorcycles.

Comment

Working...
            X