Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info to build an 80" shovel!!

Need some info:

1> What is the casting number on the flywheels on the 80" shovelheads?

2> Is that casting number the same for the late 74" and 80"?

3> Can all 74" cylinders be bored out to the same as a standard-bore 80" cylinder?

4> Are there different length shovelhead rods? If so, how to tell the difference?

Building an 80" '66 and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before shopping.

thanks,
    Lonnie

Lonnie -

My suggestion would be to leave the bore as small as you can get by with. If you ride it enough, in a few years, you will have it out to the 0.060" oversize that will put it at the bore of the 80" machines. At your stock bore, you will have somewhere around 78 cubic inches. And, you won't have enough difference is power minus the 2 cubes, to feel the difference. But, you will have a lot more cylinder life. I know that's not what you asked. Just thinking out loud.

Here is a link to the Victory Library's tech page on connecting rods"

http://victorylibrary.com/tech/rod-c.htm

Your stock rods are approx. 0.030" longer than those used in the later Shovels.

Jack

Comment

Just to add a little to what Jack said, no reason to add to the bore. Also , if you are thinking of using late 70s,early 80s stock 4 1/4 stroke flywheels, they seldom true up very well as most of the machine work done on them was sloppy at best. That being said if you are going to use the oem wheels you will need to purchase the correct shafts. The 81-84 shovel wheels use a different taper on the pinion shaft and as far as I know none are offered with side oil feed so you would need to change the bushing in the cam cover. I like these motors with the cruiser flywheels from Truett and Osborn. S+S wheels are a few lbs lighter of you are looking for quick revs.

Comment

get s and s 86" in wheels
        john renoe #1952

Comment

The 80" barrels were really 74" barrels starting at 070 over. I don't remember any big performance difference between the two motors, though the 80 was more popular.

I have had a set of S&S 86" wheels in my 73 shovel since about 1980. The bike has an FLH fork, 5 gal tanks, and bags. If I had it to do over, I would use T&O's Torque Monster wheels, instead of the light S&S wheels. The bike takes a lot to get it rolling, and the heavy wheels would have eliminated this problem.
          VPH-D

Comment

The factory used 3 different sets of rods in shovels. The first set used until 73 is the same as pans and knucks and has a center to center distance of 7.470 ". The second set measures 7.440" and was used 74- somewhere around late 82. the last set is the same offset rod used in early evos which is also 7.440"
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I'm in the middle of building up my 78 and I went with T&O torque monster 4-1/2" wheels and a set of S&S rods and Jims crank pin and shafts and some Keith Black hypereutectic pistons for an 84" engine. I had a standard bore so I only had to go 10 over. It's going in a bagger with a 2 over front end and a little bit of accessories (garbage) attached to it. I rode my buddy's 84 and it's a nice size that still maintains reliability and doesn't have excess piston velocity.

Comment

Working...
              X