Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advantages of separate trans/prim fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advantages of separate trans/prim fluid?

chiefrider.

I guess the advantages of running a sealed trans/prim are that you can run a heavier weight gear oil in the trans box and a lighter one in the primary. This would also isolate any contamination.

My 40 scout flywheel shaft leaks into my primary from main. A modern lip seal can be fitted. Breathing (internal pressure relief) would help also.

Thoughts on separate oil anyone?

ok,ican see the advantage there but what is the exact modification to separate one from the other,by the way, im running 50 weight hd motor oil in both my chiefs .i change it religiously but they both like to produce those neat little shiny metal flakes.is there a better oil someone else may be using(cheaper to i might add)

Comment

Hi fellas.
      There has been a huge amout of discussion re this on the VI site.
      I just went to poach some meaty replies from some of the more respected contibutors / builders, but theres a fair bit of info to wade through.
      If you're a member, go to the VI site and do a search under ATF or sealed Primary. Interesting reading, and this is how I have my bike set up.

Best wishes.

Ken.
      P. S Admin Bloke (remember I'm an Aussie!) Hope you don't mind me sprouting the VI virtues some times. Why reinvent the wheel?

Comment

like i said in another thread ,this 48 chief is a great ,95% complete bike but it will be a runner and to make it more roadworthy ill try anything as long as i dont have to rake the front end or turn it into a 90" chief

Comment

I am in the mind set that the breaking in of a new bike engine/tranny should be accomplished with standard lubricants. After which synthetics should replace the original lubricants for the purpose of preventing any more unnecessary wear of the moving parts. Wear is an important ingredient of breaking these units in. I like to look at this breakin period as to the same purpose of lapping a set of valves in. Beyond this point, any further wear is the culprit of wearing it out. Synthetics practically remove this additional wear, thus maintaining a well balanced and continuiosly broke in unit. Many respectable builders choose to run synthetics in fresh builds directly from the start. I would agree except for the fact that if you are not the builder, you do not know the original fits and tollerances the builder actually built on. Lubricant weights should only be chosen by climate and lubricating component design. Just my thoughts...Paps

Comment

"exact modification to separate one from the other".

Ahhhhh.... plug the holes. Plug it and/or TIG it over. Rare earth magnets on drain plugs highly recommended also.

I've personally been using the least expensive industrial 50 weight oil I could find to breakin my engines. When things get resolved and broken in I switch to something a little better. The price point of synth is hard for me to justify when you consider the period of time you would have to go between changes. On the old stuff frequent changes with inexpensive oil gives me piece of mind. Remote oil filter can't hurt, just a little more insurance for a ridden bike.

Hey Ken - searching the VI archive takes hours. It's painful. I have a tough time with it. Just regurg it here or pull some relevant meat.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminGuy
              "Hey Ken - searching the VI archive takes hours. It's painful. I have a tough time with it. Just regurg it here or pull some relevant meat.
              G'day Admin.
              I agree with you there. I took your advice and have just wasted 20 minutes trying to find the numerous threads on this subject from the Yahoo hosted VI site. Most lame search engine I have ever tried to use, as it timed out 90% of the searches with no returns.

I'll keep trying as I know there were some excellent discussions re this subject.

Best wishes all.

Ken.

Comment

Working...
              X