Oil Leak (sump)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak (sump)

My 1949 pan sat for almost a year do to FAMILY issues...while sitting it SUMPED out the whole oil tank of oil on the ground thru the primary ...it has never done this before and Iwondered if its just crud under the oil pump ball or is this something else..I intend to fill it and fire it again soon, so should I be concerned about this new problem.thanks , tom colby

Sump

Hello,

This is a common occurance in a bike that sits. It is possible that the oil pump check seat has some grit in it, or the oil pump check ball had some wear, but most likely the check ball spring is just weak. I suggest with the oil out, take out the spring and ball, clean the seat with carb spray, and replace both check ball and spring. I was able to get both from my local harley dealership for my pan. This loading up of the lower end is no big deal. You might want to clean your clutch plates is the oil did not drain out of the primary as it leaked, ie no hole in the inner primary for snoot.

Rich

Comment

same thing happens with my flathead, I have to remove the drain plug from the bottom of the crank case to remove the oil that seeps down. You might want to check Yours also ,so You will not have excess pressure in your crank !
      I drain excess oil from crank, add oil to tank, and start her up , this procedure I have used for years ! J.P.

Comment

Working...
      X