Forging numbers on 45 front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forging numbers on 45 front end

Just looking for some information from those who know. I have an RL springer front end with forging numbers of SC20T followed by a symbol and the number 1. I also have a WL springer with forging numbers ?C20TF followed by a symbol and the number 18. I am trying to get some information as to what the numbers mean, especially the last number. Thanks for any help!

The part you are talking about is spring fork bracket #2698-XX which is the top casting on the spring fork.
    In 1930 the part was #2698-30A and had casting number "SC-20T" followed the the manufacturer's logo, then the number "1". There may have been other numbers at the end of the casting number but I'm not sure.
    In 1931 the part was renumbered to #2698-31A and had the casting number "TC-20TF" followed the the manufacturer's logo, then the number "1" or "2". Again, possibly other numbers.
    The easiest way to tell the difference is the "shoulders" of the casting. The "shoulders" of the casting (the portion between the spring rods and the corner where the spring fork sides attach) in 1930 are very slightly radiused, almost straight. The same portion on the 1931 casting has a more pronounced radius and is thicker.
    I am not familiar with the post-1936 forks and don't know how many numbers were used at the end of casting number.
    I hope this helps in some way and would be glad to send photos of the two castings described above.
    Johnny

Comment

There's quite an extensive discussion regarding this subject at the address below. Seems the last number increased with time.

http://www.flatheadpower.com/BB/viewtopic.php?t=6734

Comment

Working...
      X