Steering and handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering and handling

Any hints or help appreciated. I have a 741 that is a little scary on the corners. Is this peculiar to a bike of this vintage? This is my first antique and compared to some of the bikes I have owned this thing steers like a pregnant yak. I am wondering if the bushings in the front end or tension on the ride controls can affect this. It has a tendency to want to oversteer (go straight). I am also not pleased with the profile of the front tire it has a shoulder rather than a nice round profile and am wondering if this could affect this bike too. Thanks.. I am sure I will have many more posts. Some pics later on!
    Pat

Humm.. no reply. I missed this one.

Maybe check for play in neck. Check dampner tension. Are fr links binding? Checked alignment? Mod tires avail.

Geometry is rustic. Try pushing bars into corners. re gyroscopic force. For real fun go ride a Chief. Handles like a tank.

These things were built for dirt/gravel roads and large amounts of punishing abuse at low speeds. Think tractor not GP.

Comment

Sorry, I have a 1944 Farmall M that handles better on the turns than my 741. But seriously it looks like the front end is in need of a rebuild. Bearings in the neck and bushings in the fork. I'm an old motocrosser/enduro rider so I can deal with it for now. Do you think I'd do better entering this in a motocross event since it was designed for off rode punishment? LOL. When the cold months of winter hit I'm going to tear it all down. Even the way it is it's too much fun to ride to even consider not riding it now while I can.
      Pat

Comment

Hey PatR! I can't blame you for wanting to just ride it! I would do the same in your situation. My 641 is sitting patiently waiting for me to pay some attention to it. Admin-Guy has got me smoked in the getting things done department! It's good to hear the enthusiasm on getting the little Scouts rolling! I hope your having a blast!

Comment

Pat if you can't ride your Scout and feel comfortable taking your hands off of the bars your front end needs repair and/or you simply need tires, which can make a WORLD of difference. Those bikes handle very well. At least as good as anything with a Springer. Adminguy, you just haven't ridden a decent Chief if you can say that. A leaf-spring Chief will outhandle anything Harley-Davidson made prior to 1984! Anytime you want to prove that to yourself come down to Florida and I will put you on one to do just that.

Comment

For anyone to say that a leaf-spring Chief will out handle anything HD had before 1984 is a Very Bold statement,BUT we are all entitled to our own beliefs!I own a few of each mentioned and truthfully at anything over 50 MPH I disagree,but thats just me
            As for the scout ID check everything out then double check then Id be happy knowing that that bike isnt going to handle the same as say a 51 Chief or Pan or anything else ! Know the limits of the MC you have and smile and enjoy !!!
            HAPPY MOTORING!!!

Comment

It's Christmas every day at my house lately.. The postman or UPS driver is always bringing something for me. (wife and kids are jealous). The front fork bushings are in and I am going to order new bearings for the steering head on monday. I just replaced the friction disc and spring on the rocker clutch, although in a few months time I am now so used to the clutch I can ride it in the "suicide" configuration. On the little scouts *cough* (my scout thinks it's big! so don't tell it) suicide is more like a failed attempt. I think if my foot slipped off the clutch at a light she would more than likely stall than jump out. (also lesson learned don't over grease an Indian, it finds it way into the wrong places like the friction disc or brakes). One of the advantages of learning the bikes little nuances in the current state of steering disrepair is that you really get to learn the bike. I have recently found that sitting back on the seat and shifting some weight onto the back tire helps in steering a bit. These next few days will find some American flags mounted on her for a bit of 4th of July fun. Looking forward to more posts. Thanks all and happy 4th

Comment

Yup, Happy Canada day, happy 4th all.

Chief I was on was not set up correctly at the time. I did tail and older fella from CA on a RR. He was making me nervous as he was pushing into the sweepers at 75. He was one heck of a good rider.... for an older fella. hee-hee. So I am aware of how a Chief can handle. Scouts are lighter and nimbler. Well, I'll find out soon.

I may be test riding a nifty knuck bobber shortly. Should be fun. I need someone to FIX the raffle at Dales museum for me. I need that 39 knuck bobber.

The leaf statement only holds true on rough gravel roads from what I understand. The sales pitch was something about leading VS following links. Someone help me here.

Pat you can sometimes simply rotate stearing cup. Balls make pressure contact at front top area. So a 90 rotation works well.

Sounds like you have a sloppy jalopy. Try to line hone your bushings. Set everything up nice and square. Take your time. Talk to a machinist.

Yes, I was told that the grease zerks are more for show. Disassemble clean and regrease.

I'm doing final assemb. now on my lump of scout. Pipes are a problem. Two singles, or drag pipes. I noted that on racers they cut off cross over rod for rear brake which gives you much needed clearance. I've got some work ahead to figure this out. Kicker clearance etc. I may need to bend kicker out or something.

I also noted that advance cable on a 640 crosses back over main tube at bottom, and then through clip - for a straighter path. I have to figure out a few things as I'm a little nervous setting it up. Trying to consider play between oil pump and dist. key. -opening at fat rear lobe, etc.

Looked at a nice orig. 37 Savanna Scout. Rear sprocket was drilled! I didn't know that.

I hit 38mph tonight on the IND moped. Carb needs a heat spacer. Maybe even rubber isolation mount. Time for a wee sprocket. Chinese stock chain is almost toast. Go figure.... Yes sir! Saddle up. Were go'in moped race'in! It's just halarious. I look like a complete nut job on it. I'm going to see if friend with hot rod wizzer will bring his out to tenino swap. Such a fun little side project.

Comment

Admin,
                  Let us see some pics! been hearin abot this scout all winter Please dont keep us waiting! I have a pic or 2 of my bobber4 that I want to down load but seem to be having a tough time doing??? Got any help????
                  HAPPY 4TH ALL!!.....LONG MAY IT WAVE!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well... it's just a run of the mill bobbed SS w/ 34 orig. paint rear fender. Tanks not back from pin striper yet, ( I chickened out). I have to wait for my man to get in the groove. Then he stripes everything in the shop. They should look good if I can get the dang permantent black marker off of them. I wasn't thinking and grided them up. Wrong marker used. Whoops.

Dave Edwards has kicker bent out, rear pipe path infront of foot board rod. problem solved, but low ground clearance. Compare to photo of zigs bike. I can't see how zigs bike has clearance for kicker. Bottom period racer photo, this guy probably took a hammer to his pipe to make clearance, also no chain guard gives more room. Bottom right photo shows nice solution with up sweep - but I just can't see a guy doing that in the late 40's. Also can't attach saddle bags, someone may burn themselves if they hop on back fender. So that got axed. But still looks real good.

So looks like I may have to reroute rear pipe in front of board rail like Daves bike. Wraping paper tubes tighten to 1.5" used for mock up. Degree angles determined from this for tube bends. Scale drawing on computer used to determine mandrel size required. Smallest my tube guy has is 3".
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is a pic of my 741. Planning on riding it as is for the summer and tearing it apart this winter to redo it. paint and bearings ah who knows will probably redo all of it. Will be redoing the clutch real soon though with one of the newer modified clutches, hoping it will solve some of the gear grinding when cold.
                      Attached Files

Comment

PAT,
                        Nice looking!!!!!!!!!! wish I could figure out why I cannt download any pics of my Bobber ! How are you doing it ??

Comment

Yup- Kevlar King clutch good upgrade. Check your throw out bearing for proper clearance also. ie its not dragging in severly worn race. My friend Ron just discovered this problem. It was nice of him to pass it along. It's hard to see unless everything is clean.

Bike looks good! I see you have a nice dent in that home made pipe for clearance. Is that an official Indian dent? You need the correct hammer for that.

Photos must be within 600x600 pixels and compressed under 70K to upload to BB. Email to me and I'll size them for you if need be.

Comment

Admin....YGM!!! and if you like please E-Mail me a how-to on compressing them, Thanks!

Comment

I take my pics with a 6 Megapixel Fuji digital so it takes BIG file pics. I had to open my pic with adobe photo shop and adjust it that way. Shrunk the image by percentage until I got it to a size that would take without losing too much of the detail. Nice thing about the file size I get with this camera is that it allows for large prints. Obviously since the custom dent in exhaust to allow for a clean kickstart was visible the details weren't lost haha. Gonna have to try that ole "heat the kickstart up to cherry red and bend it trick". Just remember if you do this to yours, don't throw it in the snow to cool it lest you be push starting your Indian.

Comment

Working...
                              X