Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klaxton Horn on my 1928 JD

Hi,

What Klaxon model am I suppose to use on my 1928 JD? I have read in one of the spare parts books that the Klaxon #11 was used from 1929 and up some years, but what about my 1928?

Looking forward to read your replay!

1928 Horn

Hi,
    According to HD Parts Book 1926-1935, you should have a Sparton electric horn, 1920-1928 twins, part number 4801-20A. The 1926-1928 singles use a new horn type, part number 4801-26. I am not an expert, just happen to have a parts book. Hope it helps.
    rickfalk

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Hej Knut,
        The 1935 parts book indicates that the same Sparton horn fits from 1920 to 28. When it comes to design, later parts books can never be trusted, as new parts are given old numbers if they fit.
        They used a similar Klaxon Nr 3 horn too in the 20:ies. When you check the different parts for the horn, you notice that they offer 4822-25 Motor yoke for horns 1925-28. An earlier 1926 parts book includes parts for Klaxons too. I have an original 1920 J, but I do not remember which horn it has, as it has not been apart and the bike is stowed away for the winter.
        There are at least two different styles of Sparton horns. The body is stamped in one piece and a little rounded at the back on one style. The other is more like a food can and similar to the Klaxon 3. All three are smaller than the 1929-30 horn.
        So I believe that Sparton is from 1925 to 28, but have not checked all my sources.
        Fiskis

Comment

I went to look at the 1920 and the marking seems to be KLAXON-6. The design is a fourth version, the rear edge is sharp but it has a sort of bulb in the center. Otherwise, the dimensions seem similar to the later Sparton horns. The 1926-28 Single horns have a similar front air horn, but they are shorter and are not motor horns.
          Fiskis

Comment

Thank you. I have looked for sparton horns on e-bay for almost a year now, but I have not found any.

Comment

I can hear with the buddys if someone could spare a Sparton horn. I'll send an email if any luck.
              Fiskis

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Hi
                  I found a Klaxon horn if that is of any help. It is not of the 1920 type, nor is it the Sparton food can type. I have seen these on 1926-27 JD:s though. I try to attach pictures.
                  Regards Fiskis

Comment

No picture came through!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Now I got my motor running...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X