48 chief kickstand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 chief kickstand

does anyone know if the kickstand was a running change from 47-48 early...before the 48 style side stand came out...have what appears to be a very original 48 frame with a 47 side stand...thanks chris

The early 1948 Frames, at least the ones with the round crossbar for the rear fender, had the threaded hole (s) for the stand and the clip. But all the 48's had the front mount stand. There are actually 2 different 48 sidestand, early and late. One had the J hook to keep the bracket in place.
    An Indian never fell over with a front stand, it's a huge plus. I put one on my 46 (after Senior judging) after 2 fall overs on hot asphalt with the 46-47 POS stand.

Comment

thanks for the info...I do have the threaded holes for the early one ,know of any of the early ones for sale ? thanks chris

Comment

I think I still have an early 48 sidestand.

Comment

Which is the early 1948 one, with J hook or without? And BTW, there is a very big difference in the 1948 stand and the similar looking 1950 -53 stands. As the 50-53 hydraulic forks are longer , so was the stand bracket angle . If the 48 stand is used on a 50, it will lean way over and visa-versa. Supposedly, according to my best source- Michael Breeding, the 50-53 stand bracket ( the part that attaches to the frame), has the part number 237047 cast into it. Supposedly all the stand legs were the same length.
          Last edited by cdf6333; 01-27-2017, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Service Shots #190 Feb. 23, 1948 adds how to install jiffy stand reinforcement.

Comment

How about a jpg of it? I don't have that one

Comment

service shot

Here tis,hope it's not too cold down there.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, I remember it existing but never saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by cdf6333 View Post
                    An Indian never fell over with a front stand, it's a huge plus. I put one on my 46 (after Senior judging) after 2 fall overs on hot asphalt with the 46-47 POS stand.
                    I should be too embarrassed to admit this, but I let the kickstand on my '48 Chief get so worn that it no longer locked into place. There appears to be an indent that is supposed to hold the stand in place when deployed. Well anyway, I was at a MSF "Experienced Rider" safety course on the Chief when I left it unattended in the parking lot. A strong tailwind came along and moved the bike forward just enough for the side stand to fold, causing the bike to fall over. Yep, I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it. I now have a new stand on the bike. This winter, I hope to rebuild the old stand.
                    Last edited by Coolbreeze; 09-15-2019, 12:25 AM.
                    George Tinkham
                    Springfield, IL
                    www.virmc.com
                    AMCA # 1494
                    1941 Indian 841
                    1948 Indian Chief
                    1956 H-D KHK
                    1960 CH
                    1964 BMW R69S
                    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
                    X