Seized in pogo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seized in pogo

Does anyone out there have any tricks to free up a seized in pogo. My friend has a 1964 pan head with this problem. I thought about using a slide hammer and some muratic acid

Do a search in the Panheads section back in Sept of 2010, there was as topic about stuck seat posts, I had a few stuck pretty bad, take your time, you'll get it out.

Comment

A slide hammer is a good idea, along with lots of lubricant. As soon as you can get the seat post to move up and down a bit, you're on your way. However, real aggressive beating could just ruin it. Like 556mm said, take your time, and work with it. Oh yeah, don't use acid.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Engelman View Post
        Does anyone out there have any tricks to free up a seized in pogo. My friend has a 1964 pan head with this problem. I thought about using a slide hammer and some muratic acid
        The best idea I heard, Pete,..

Was to hang the whole bike from a ceiling joist by it.

And then patiently abuse it.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I find Kano' AeroKroil (the oil that creeps) works well with a couple of days of small applications.

http://www.kanolabs.com
          Attached Files
          William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
          http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

50% Acetone and 50% ATF and you have Kroil at 1/10 the price.
            AMCA #3149
            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by wideglide38 View Post
              I find Kano' AeroKroil (the oil that creeps) works well with a couple of days of small applications.

http://www.kanolabs.com
              I've still got a half-case of that, William!

The valves went faulty and p'd customers off.

And I only use it a couple drops at a time.

But often.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Kroil and heat.Put a space heater in front of it.Impact taps with hammer.
                Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
                  Kroil and heat.Put a space heater in front of it.Impact taps with hammer.
                  Tom
                  Before you go beating on anything or heating up your frame read Palmers restoration book. 1st edition page 67 first two paragraphs might help depending what your trouble is on seat posts that are stuck. if I remember correctly there is a reason they get stuck and they need to be rotated/turned one way or another if I remember correctly to release them. check it out.
                  Last edited by 46EL; 07-12-2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I've used Kroil for 40 plus years (not AeroKroil) and it's always worked for me. I learned about it from a very old retired H-D mechanic. Your problem might not be rust though, you might have a bent pogo.

Comment

Could be worse than that, on my first ‘50 frame there was only about the top third of a pogo...however they cross drilled through the frame, spot welded the pogo into the seat tube and then cleaned and moulded the frame. Did a nice job, took me a while to realize it.

However, it’s much more likely to be rust. Can also be that someone rammed a pogo into a seat tube that had been “modified” to fit an ego or shovel.

See y’all at Wauseon, if my new heap makes it! (Orange square box Chevy, pretty beat to death)

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                        I agree, Bob; but I have to say that Kroil does smell better.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                          Originally posted by exeric View Post
                          I agree, Bob; but I have to say that Kroil does smell better.
                          And a bit safer around the torch, too, Folks.

...Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Here is what one of mine looked like after I got it out, water gets in there and they rust inside the frame, I had a couple like this and helped others, always the same. ( Rust )

65 seat post 011.jpg
                            65 seat post 012.jpg

Comment

Another one, rusted in solid, slide hammer hooked to a chain hoist.
                              Sandys 47 8-14-11 018.jpg

Sandys 47 8-14-11 026.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X