The 1916 Excelsior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1916 Excelsior

I have wanted to share this Excelsior project with my fellow AMCA members. Now that our diligent forum administrator has changed the title of this category, I think it’s more usable. I hope more members take advantage of this and show what they are doing. For example, seeing how Slojo tackled some of the obstacles on his Gray Ghost build has been very useful, and inspiring to me, and showed how most any problem can be solved.

I have already posted much of this on Buzz’s CAIMAG forum so it will be a re-hash for some of you. I parked the Excelsior project last June, but I’m now back on it and have more to add. So, I’ll start with a bit of Excelsior history, and the history of my 1916 Big X..

I have a good friend in Orlando named Charlie Carter. Charlie was a past editor of “The Antique Motorcycle” and was known as Mr. Excelsior back in the 70s and 80s because of his great interest in the Chicago Brand X. Charlie had a printing industry related business in the old part of Orlando, and it was always enjoyable to stop in after work for a cocktail, and some B.S. In addition to Charlie’s motorcycle collection, the owner of the building he was in, was a prolific collector of old cars, stock cars from the Daytona beach racing days, and real period hot rods from the late 40s and early 50s. Needless to say, there was always something interesting to look at.

In addition to Hendersons, Excelsiors, and Indians, Charlie had the fenders, a gas tank, most of a motor, a transmission with clutch, and many of the odd brackets, and control parts for a ’16 X. I looked at that stuff for the better part of year before the hook got set. I had just finished a Series 20 Excelsior and I didn’t know if I wanted to go back down that rough road. Particularly, building a bike from parts. Still, I found myself looking at pictures of ’15-’19 Excelsiors, and liking the styling more and more. I don’t remember the details of the deal but I got what Charlie had.

That year I went to Davenport and I’m thinking it was 1990. I didn’t have expectations of finding anything major for the Ex, but, Mike Smith had a 1916 Excelsior frame, fork, and handlebars and that was the most advantageous purchase I’ve ever made in this hobby. My long term project suddenly became most of a whole motorcycle.

I wish I had taken more pictures of the ’16 X pile as it grew, but that was in the days of film cameras and I was more selective of what I took pictures of. This is the only picture I can find of the ’16 in parts. It’s really a better picture of my 1919 Henderson in parts.

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

To give you a bit more history; the first picture is of a 1915 Excelsior. '15 was the first year for a 3 speed transmission (like H-D and Indian) and streamlined styling before H-D and Indian. The '15 was unique in that the shifter was on the right side, but even more unique from a restoration point of view is; the majority of components are mildly, to profoundly particular to 1915. I found a lot of '15 stuff when I was searching for '16 stuff.

This is another picture of a '15. It's either a pre-production model, or a very early production model as there is some debate on some of it's components. Having a babe posing with your product wasn't lost on the ad men of the day but Excelsior also liked to stress that their bikes could be easily started by women due to the compression release feature.

This picture is of a 1916 Excelsior and of course I'm the only Excelsior guy that thinks the '16 is better looking than the '15.

Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Oh man this is gonna be awesome! Thanks for making the effort to take us along with this one Eric!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

It's déjà vu all over again!
        Al Cournoyer
        1942 WLA Boober
        1928 JDL Super Sport In progress
        Member #23154

Comment

Hey Eric,

I'm glad you have decided to make a rebuilt thread of that awesome Excelsior. It is such a nice bike! I'll follow that with as much interest as you have followed mine on Buzz's site!
          Bob
          '' The hurrier I go, the behinder I get ''

Comment

Very glad to see the new category, right on Eric - keep it coming!

Comment

I've had a major set-back on the '16 X. Somehow I have lost all of the control parts from the handlebars, down to the frame head. That is a lot of parts, all weird, and complex. Needless to say, I have looked everywhere, and speculated on every possible scenario. In addition to being a huge loss, it has killed my enthusiasim for this project. I think the best thing for me to do is put the X in mothballs and wait until I can find a replacement set. . . And, a better frame of mind.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, you didn't look hard enough. They are there, in a box under something. Move onto the next plateau and keep looking. They did not grow legs. Bob
                AMCA #3149
                http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

It's so fustrating when you can't find something. I couldn't find a box with some parts from my 1915 Harley. I looked and looked and swore that maybe the ex wife threw them in the garbage or something. Well after almost a week of full time looking I found the box hiding under another box in the basement. Why I put them there I don't know or remember. Eric, As hopeless as it may seem, keep looking where it should be and shouldn't be. I feel for you, you'll find it.

Comment

I find losing stuff one of the most frustrating parts of this hobby. I've spent an entire Saturday tearing the shop apart for that particular "piece" only to randomly trip across it a day or two later. It can seriously set back the time line! My wife knows that "lost" look on my face and always asks if the "shop gremlin" has stashed something on me again? Once found I vow to be more orderly, yet I still lose the odd thing!

Those parts will show up before you know it Eric. Hopefully it will renew your spirit!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

A friend of mine suggested I wrap up my restoration of the 1916 Excelsior. I ended this saga before because I lost some very important parts. I never did find those parts but I was able to replace them so the job moved forward. I had planned to do a lot more descriptive narration attached to the pictures but I have now decided that Confucius was right and pictures should tell most of the story. If there is anything that readers want to know more about, I will be happy to elaborate.

Tank with door

Tank with door reattached

Tank in primer

Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Some sheet metal parts in process.

Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Frame before straightening

Frame during straightening

Frame straightened and stripped

Frame painted and striped

Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Fork straightening

Fork stripping and prep

Fork painting, and striping

Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Front fender issues

After a lot of work the fender was straight

Then on to paint, and striping. The decal was a brittle NOS example but it worked out okay.

Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X