No announcement yet.

I think I am rich...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The word Antique 2014 car will not exist. As you pointed out earlier about the longevity of plastics. Today's cares are damm near 50% plastic. I'm all read having electrical problems with our trucks (Some only five years old) were the plastic clips that hold the electrical plugs together are breaking off. One minute ya got lights the next your doing Lucas.
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
      The word Antique 2014 car will not exist. As you pointed out earlier about the longevity of plastics. Today's cares are damm near 50% plastic. I'm all read having electrical problems with our trucks (Some only five years old) were the plastic clips that hold the electrical plugs together are breaking off. One minute ya got lights the next your doing Lucas.
      Looks like English will be extinct, too, Folks!

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

To my way of thinking, Repo parts have their place.

When I start a new bike build for myself, I usually have some idea of the direction it will go. I then start gathering parts that fit into my vision. If I cannot find parts that fit into my ideas, then I start making them, or modify existing parts. Adherences to OEM parts do not come into consideration when selecting parts.

If I am doing a rebuild, the main focus is on restoring the bike to its original functuality. OEM parts are often preferred here, but not the main focus. It is quite common for aftermarket parts to have a higher level of engineering, or quality, than original OEM parts. Plus availability.

A restoration is mainly focused on returning a bike to it’s original condition as built in the factory. If we are talking about antique bikes, the majority of these have had a hard/long life. No freeways for these bikes.
        As most members know, the OEM parts for these older bikes can be few and far between. The parts that can be found are often in poor condition.
        It is the “unobtainable” parts that the repo industry helps us keep these older bikes going. Some people spend a lot of money and effort to reproduce these older parts.

Personally, I enjoy “Reclaining” These old parts. This is a skill I enjoy, bring something back to life. It is also a skill that I think we are rapidly losing. Today’s young mechanics are taught how to diagnose failure via a computer, and are then told what parts to replace. Throw out the old parts.
        Mechanical timing advance, what’s that, where is the solenoid? Points, Huh. Using oversize roller bearings to adjust clearances, never heard of it. Draw filing, scraping bearings etc. Where is the OBD plug.

Comment

IMG_2507.jpgIMG_2507.jpg

There are some young ones doing it as well, and doing a fine job of it. There's hope.

Comment

That is good to know, but some of the old skills cannot be taught. They have to be learnt in place, learn how to feel a tension, clearance, etc

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
              Looks like English will be extinct, too, Folks!

....Cotten
              100% Whack Job! Drop and die already!
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by aumick10 View Post
                That is good to know, but some of the old skills cannot be taught. They have to be learnt in place, learn how to feel a tension, clearance, etc
                By some one willing to teach, are you one of those? These three were mostly responsible for at least four pre 28 Bikes completing the CB 18. And two of them rode....The amount of effort, listening to, and trial and error, along with an ability to research the likes of which I haven't seen gives me great hope there will be another generation coming along.
                There is a long line of individuals that took the time to discuss, help and provide tutelage to these kids and more like them. Trial and error, a better use of science and materials, and lack of an ego are all traits these younger guys posses.
                Most "old guys" didn't really get serious about restoring and collecting until the kids were raised, the job and future secured and then did we proceed with our passion. To think we are the last of the "Breed" is not opinion I share with you. There will be some to step up, there will be some that won't, and there will be a lot of quality machines for them to pick from.
                When MC sales went in the toilet and bikes could be bought by the pound years ago, the same statements were uttered. Look what happened in the 80s and into the 90's....No one can say where this market will go, not you, not I, not anyone.
                I can't help but wonder if in 40 years a group of guys will come upon a Honda Rune in a shed and look upon it as we have done when seeing a Indian 4 or a Knuckle head under a tarp in a shed. I choose to believe there will always be guys waxing nostalgic and will carry the torch......

Comment

''I paid stupid money yesterday for a OEM trim kit for my 40 EL'',

Explain this? >>>352215464787_1.JPG >>>$59.00 Free Shipping.
                  Instead of...this! >>>382878035309_1.jpg >>>$1395.00 + $25.00 Shipping. *Recent (6-2019) eBaY purchase.

Why would some manufacturer take the time, effort & Cash to make a 4-piece 59 dollar stainless 1/2 ass ugly so called top fender trim replica, and not even come close to duplicating it correctly?

*M.A.D.*
                  Last edited by JoJo357; 06-01-2019, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                    ''I paid stupid money yesterday for a OEM trim kit for my 40 EL'',

Explain this? >>>[ATTACH=CONFIG]24837[/ATTACH]
                    Instead of...this! >>>[ATTACH=CONFIG]24838[/ATTACH]

*M.A.D.*

Why would some manufacturer take the time, effort & Cash to make a $59.00 stainless 1/2 ass ugly so called top fender trim replica, and not even come close to getting it right?

I guess I'm not following your question? What are you asking??

Comment

I still give this guy an A+ for his 'California Dreaming' effort!
                      https://ebay.us/sAkH0T

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Originally posted by riggpigg View Post
                        Why would some manufacturer take the time, effort & Cash to make a $59.00 stainless 1/2 ass ugly so called top fender trim replica, and not even come close to getting it right?

I guess I'm not following your question? What are you asking??
                        I sent You a PM riggpigg.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                          I sent You a PM riggpigg.

*M.A.D.*
                          Got it! yes I agree.......I need a good fender light cover and a streamline tail light housing for my 40, with clips and lenses??? anyone??

Comment

Wow, last set I sold I was happy to get $400 for.
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                              Wow, last set I sold I was happy to get $400 for.
                              LOL, wished I'd have known this........I guess when I look down on the fender of this old wobbler when Im riding it when we get it done Ill have a bit more appreciation for it.....
                              Probably won't be my last trick...........

Comment

Originally posted by aumick10 View Post
                                To my way of thinking, Repo parts have their place.
                                Certainly Mick!

Obvious repops are what we must use.

After all, making exact and authentic hardware would be counterfeiting.

....Cotten
                                PS: My replacements are "new and improved".
                                Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-02-2019, 01:21 PM.
                                AMCA #776
                                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                                X