XLCH Stoplight Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jim d View Post
    My 64 XLCH tank and fenders has been repainted over the original paint with spray can paint. The rest of the bike is stock right down to exhaust. I have owned it since 1994. I purchased it from a old friend that owned for about 10 years and I remember when he got it from the original owner. The bike had been sitting for 12 years before that. It was repainted by the original owner. The engine is out of the rolling chassis and the BLACK stoplight switch is still attached to the original wiring and has probably never been disconnected. The VID # starts with 20-- . That being said I don't know about later on in the year but I think that mine came painted. I used to have the bike at my house for weeks at a time in the 80s to ride it and my friend never had the chassis apart.
    So do you think that the switch was installed before the frame was painted? Are the steel lines black as well?

Comment

Originally posted by jim d View Post
      My 64 XLCH tank and fenders has been repainted over the original paint with spray can paint. The rest of the bike is stock right down to exhaust. I have owned it since 1994. I purchased it from a old friend that owned for about 10 years and I remember when he got it from the original owner. The bike had been sitting for 12 years before that. It was repainted by the original owner. The engine is out of the rolling chassis and the BLACK stoplight switch is still attached to the original wiring and has probably never been disconnected. The VID # starts with 20-- . That being said I don't know about later on in the year but I think that mine came painted. I used to have the bike at my house for weeks at a time in the 80s to ride it and my friend never had the chassis apart.
      Jim,
      What you're stating makes sense. I would think that If the Cadmium-plated switches were phased-in in 1964, it would have have been happening after the 2100 + V.I.N. range if my memory of my original 1964 (V.I.N. 2136) switch is accurate. Therefore, my current bike should have a black switch. Following the above discussion and logic, this seems to make sense.
      Last edited by billpedalino; 07-08-2020, 06:43 AM.
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
        So do you think that the switch was installed before the frame was painted? Are the steel lines black as well?
        Ryan,
        I believe you're referring to the FLH switches which had the steel hydraulic lines?
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
        X