1947 Knucklehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Knucklehead

I'm hoping to get opinons on a 1947 Knucklehead I considering making an offer on. Not much revealed on the provenance of this one. Reported as bought from the son of the deceased owner in Cincinnati who only knew his dad had this for a "decent amount of time". Belly number seem to match and to my eye the VIN looks good, but folks here have better eyes. Current owner thinks the wheels, primary cover, obviously seat, and speedo are not original, no comments on the rest. "Jr's cycles here in Milwaukee had it in september to give it a once over, you could call them with questions as well maybe. New battery and generator etc they put in and topped fluids and made sure she was running good."

Looks like an inline springer to me but not great pictures/angles. From what little I can see the frame also looks pre-bullneck? I assume 28-degree rake. Which could be early 1947, right? In any case, inline on a 47 is not rare. The VIN 7254 is early 47 if I understand the numbers correctly. The bike seems to sit fine, not too low. I do not know what size the wheel is, any guesses? I will get more pictures and clarify the inline/frame/wheel issue. What I'm trying to avoid is a restoration where the restorer mismatched the frame rake and springer type, high-speed wobble issues.

Phil Clement

Phil Clement

Comment

Phil Clement

Comment

Phil Clement

Comment

Phil Clement

Comment

Phil Clement

Comment

Looks like an inline springer to me but not great pictures/angles. From what little I can see the frame also looks pre-bullneck? I assume 28-degree rake. Which could be early 1947, right? In any case, inline on a 47 is not rare. The VIN 7254 is early 47 if I understand the numbers correctly. The bike seems to sit fine, not too low. I do not know what size the wheel is, any guesses? I will get more pictures and clarify the inline/frame/wheel issue. What I'm trying to avoid is a restoration where the restorer mismatched the frame rake and springer type, high-speed wobble issues.
              Bullneck frames started in the '46 model year, not 47, so all early Knuckles used Bullnecks and offset forks. Only the late production used the non-bull neck 30 degree frame , also with an offset fork.
              If that bike does not have a Bullneck and offset fork it is mis-matched.

Possibly why they put 18" wheels on it. The rear rim looks like a British type.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Phil; This looks like a put together bike by someone that wants to move it. For starters. Aftermarket push rod covers, starter cover, horn,coil,primary cover, speedo, at first inspection. Also, the spirals are rusted and pitted, front brake hand lever is on the wrong side, poorly recovered seat, intake nipples need to be replaced with correct plumbers style nipples and matching intake manifold, rear fender needs major work including, replacing the brace with the correct, wider one and the oversized rivets on the hinge, and the tool box cover is junk and I'll bet that the lock doesn't work. If you can buy it cheap enough, like under $20,000, I'd buy it providing it has a clean title. Then you could break it down and maybe trade for the correct frame and front end. The aftermarket parts are $20.00 - $40.00 Ebay sellers.
                Just my opinion, Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                  Bullneck frames started in the '46 model year, not 47, so all early Knuckles used Bullnecks and offset forks. Only the late production used the non-bull neck 30 degree frame , also with an offset fork.
                  If that bike does not have a Bullneck and offset fork it is mis-matched.

Possibly why they put 18" wheels on it. The rear rim looks like a British type.
                  The bullneck is a 30 degree rake, no? But right, I think this is probably mismatched or an earlier frame/springer. Frame does not look bullneck to me but hard to see. My research seemed to indicate that there was not an absolute discrete transition from 46 to 47 of bam........bullneck/offset. Not true? I always listen to what you say Rubone........
                  Phil Clement

Comment

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
                    Phil; This looks like a put together bike by someone that wants to move it. For starters. Aftermarket push rod covers, starter cover, horn,coil,primary cover, speedo, at first inspection. Also, the spirals are rusted and pitted, front brake hand lever is on the wrong side, poorly recovered seat, intake nipples need to be replaced with correct plumbers style nipples and matching intake manifold, rear fender needs major work including, replacing the brace with the correct, wider one and the oversized rivets on the hinge, and the tool box cover is junk and I'll bet that the lock doesn't work. If you can buy it cheap enough, like under $20,000, I'd buy it providing it has a clean title. Then you could break it down and maybe trade for the correct frame and front end. The aftermarket parts are $20.00 - $40.00 Ebay sellers.
                    Just my opinion, Craig
                    Thanks, Craig, that's helpful. Lot of details there to consider. I'm sure this is a pieced together bike but the devil's in the details. Any thoughts on the VIN? I also couldn't decide if the front fender was aftermarket........among other things. But I keep hacking away at learning. And my Palmers are on the east coast and I'm here in Montana, so there's that.
                    Phil Clement

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Clement View Post
                      The bullneck is a 30 degree rake, no? But right, I think this is probably mismatched or an earlier frame/springer. Frame does not look bullneck to me but hard to see. My research seemed to indicate that there was not an absolute discrete transition from 46 to 47 of bam........bullneck/offset. Not true? I always listen to what you say Rubone........
                      Yes, Bullneck is 30, but so is the late 47 non bullneck frame (there are three frames in '47, none are used with an inline fork). Period, no exceptions.

Also, speedo is repop (and wrong style), jiffy stand is wrong, oil lines are Panhead, fender mount hardware is wrong (and installed backwards), panhead fuel shutoff valve and lines, aftermarket outer primary, missing rear stand, Missing tank rubber, missing speedo reset cover, funky custom headbolts, footboard mounts, wrong seat tee, wrong "Y" pipe, and I suspect a fair bit more with better pics.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                        Yes, Bullneck is 30, but so is the late 47 non bullneck frame (there are three frames in '47, none are used with an inline fork). Period, no exceptions.
                        Right, I wasn't suggesting an inline should be matched to a bullneck forward frame with any 30-degree rake. What I was saying is I have heard of documented early 47s with the old frame and inlines. But perhaps that's what I get from listening to HuntingHarleys..........I know..........I know...........
                        Phil Clement

Comment

Phil, a lot of good information from Craig and Robbie. I spotted some more things to be corrected. Some are very minor and some are not. Repro? tank badges, chrome tappet guides, wrong transmission filler plug, repro rear chain guard, missing lock washers on primary cover screws, earlier steering damper handle, repro front brake rod, too many rivets in rear fender hinge, mismatched grips, headlight lens loose?, missing front brake able handlebar clip, clamp?? on rear cylinder pipe, missing kick pedal axle nut and wrong pedal rubber studs, wrong spark cable to frame clip, missing wiring clips, wrong rear brake cross shaft hardware, wrong battery cover wing nuts, wrong shift rod end. Hope this helps with your decision on whether to buy the bike or not. Do you have Palmer's Third edition yet? (Little plug there for Bruce.)
                          Dave

Comment

Am I the only one suspicious of the VIN? Jerry

Originally posted by Phil Clement View Post
                            Thanks, Craig, that's helpful. Lot of details there to consider. I'm sure this is a pieced together bike but the devil's in the details. Any thoughts on the VIN? I also couldn't decide if the front fender was aftermarket........among other things. But I keep hacking away at learning. And my Palmers are on the east coast and I'm here in Montana, so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                              Am I the only one suspicious of the VIN? Jerry
                              No, but the pictures of it sort of suck!!
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X