Ironhead Sportster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironhead Sportster

I am hoping someone can help me with a problem on my recently finished 1974 (its getting there in age) Ironhead Sportster. I DID NOT have to do any engine work as it was sound and ran well..I did adjust the pushrods as I REPLACED pushrod covers . When I was ready to fire up... using the electric start (I can't kick as I have been unable to find a kicker arm to clear the pipes I am running)....the starter turns , but it does not engage engine and just makes the racket of spinning (clicking)...nothing was done to starter clutch or engine and I CANNOT FIGURE WHY IT WILL NOT NOW ENGAGE ...it turned engine over before I DID JUST COSMETIC WORK....any ideas from OLD IRONHEAD SPORTSTER guys out the...manual suggests starter clutch as problem , but I REALLY don't want to remove primary cover and tear into clutch witout having an idea of problem..I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS i can get...tc (oldpan)

Let me ask the dumb question first. You didn't overtighten the pushrods, did you? Sportsters spin over real smooth and easy with no compression. It will almost sound like the starter is turning free. You can pull a spark plug, get a flashlight and look for piston movement. If that checks out, it's no big deal to pull the primary cover and see what's happening. The starter clutch is about the same as the one on a chevy in operation. They do go bad. Again, remove the spark plugs to make sure there's no compression and make sure the bike is in neutral. Bump the starter button and see if the starter clutch moves out to engage the clutch gear. If it does but nothing turns except the starter motor, the starter clutch is bad. If it doesn't move out, you have problems with the solenoid. The primary cover supports the end of the starter shaft and doing this without the primary cover on is hard on the starter parts so don't sit there with your finger on the button trying to spin the motor over. Just bump it quickly to check for operation. I'm pretty sure you won't have to remove the transmission clutch assembly to service the starter and it's parts. The whole thing unbolts and comes out the right side of the bike. Check out a '79 Sportster kick lever. They were a fold up type that had more offset to clear the exhaust.

Comment

Olpan....Everything Kojack said..........Let us know what you find........You may want to try to get a kicker onto that Sporty....those early Sporty starters/set-ups aren't the most reliable......will more then likely let you down just when you need it the most....Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Kojack....Ignore the 'edited by Hrdly' under your post....I did not edit your post......I hit wrong button when trying to edit mine. Hrdly

Comment

I agree get a kicker bent to fit the electrics were not dependable on my 76 when it was brand new check your auto advance regular and keep it lubed as if you try to kick it with the spark advanced (this is experence here) it hurts at best I did fly over the handle bars of a buddys sportster because of a stuck advance that was more than hurt..!!!! a quick test of a starter put the bike in 1st gear leave the clutch engaged and just tap the starter button the bike should lurch forward if it does lurch the starter is ok (check the valves as noted earlier) if it dont start with the soilinoid make sure it moves freely

Comment

Frozen or shredded advance weights were the major cause of starter bendix failures. Try a -72 Big Twin kick lever 72-76, as it has more kick out than the XL lever.
            VPH-D

Comment

Hey there oldpan

Please don't hate me for this ,but sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. Before you tear into this thing make sure its not a battery problem. You said the starter spins and clicks. A good chance of low voltage. It wouldn't hurt to check your cables.I might even try to jump it off your car battery and see what happens.

Comment

I have a 1980 sporty that has done the exact same thing in the past. All it is, is a low battery. If the battery is old, replace it. Or you can keep on 2 Amp deep charge for 24 hours. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                X