sportster question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sportster question

hey Hrdly-Dangrs -- since you have the most posts in this section. i will ask you. someone has a '60 sportster xlch for sale for a price within my means. was there such a model for that year, and where can i see a picture of one so i can compare it with this bike? thanks.

Hey surfdude! The 'Sportster' was first introduced in the Model year 1957. This was basically the an KR with an all new overhead valve head set-up and the distributor ignition. This was the XLH model with the large rounded tank. I believe 1958 saw the first introduction of the XLCH model with the now famous 'Sportster' peanut gas tank. This first XLCH model was basically a stripped down XLH with a magneto ignition. I believe it was introduced as an off-road or 'Competition only model at the time. It was offered as a full street model I believe the following year 1959. So yes, there is such a creature as a 1960 XLCH.
    I have seen early sixties Sportsters, especially the XLCH models selling on E'bay in the over $3,500+ range on e'bay.....take a quick look under 'Sportster' on E'bay to give you an idea of what's out there and the going prices. Course' it all depends on condition, completeness, and whether the magneto is there...the original magnetos go for a couple hundred+plus alone considering a new Hunt or Morris magneto go somewhere in the $800.00 rang. Check Barnes and Nobles, or Borders or look on E'bay for books on Sportsters. I think theres one called the Harley-Davidson Sportsters...a softcover book on 'Sportsters'...
    I believe the Serial numbers for the XLCH motor starts with the number/letter "4A" and should be stamped on the left side engine case...1970 and later models are stamped on the right side case. Hope this info helps......If anyone else reading this knows more...please reply....Later...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Update.....I just glanced thru my copy of the Big Book Of Harley-Davidson. There is a great illustration of the a 1960 XLCH on page 194...This is about one or two pages in from "The 1960's" Chapter. Might be others....Later, Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

I think the "4A" prefix came into use around 1970. I'm pretty sure the 1960 model had "60XL" as the prefix or something similar. Here's something to watch out for. The way that Sportster transmission cases are made, any shrapnel gets swept out of the bottom of the case and up between the main and countershafts. They tended to blow the countershaft area out if a gear lost a tooth. Always check the K models and early Sportsters for signs of case damage in the transmission area. Poor repairs can be tough to spot so look carefully. During the AMF years they quit using a transmission driven speedometer and the cases were made much stronger in that area. Not bulletproof but definately better.

Comment

Working...
        X