SPORTSTER sprocket ratios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPORTSTER sprocket ratios

I had a 24 tooth front drive sprocket on my 74 xlh when I purchased it...the oem FRONT SPROCKET cover I bought was hitting it when installed...I purchased a 22 tooth sprocket...what does this mean as far as rear sprocket and top end ..pick up.ect...any info would be appreciated ..TC oldpan*

TC, Since your 1974 Sportster still uses the early style 51 tooth rear wheel sprocket. The 24 tooth trans sprocket would allow the engine to rev lower at highway speeds. (Normal factory sprockets are 19-21 tooth) The 24 tooth is a great 'cruising' gear if you do mostly highway cruising. However, you will find yourself needing to give it more throttle when coming off a stop light and having to shift down to a lower gear when climbing hills, especially if you have a passenger! (Also, as you can see, there is some cutting required to get it to fit under the side cover) The 22 tooth gear should be a happy medium for most riding. You will probably have to shorten one or two links from your present chain to get enough rear axle back/forth play to adjust the chain. *I would consider changing the chain with the sprocket. Also check your rear wheel sprocket. Likely your rear 51 tooth gear is worn also especially if the bike has any significant mileage. You can get a new rear wheel sprocket ring, (about $40.00) They usually come with small bolts and nuts or rivets. Later... ..Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

SPROCKETS

THANK YOU AGAIN...I appreciate your help..tc

Comment

Working...
      X