Sportster Lowering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Lowering

Question for Hardly Dangerous...is there a kit to lower my 1974 SPORTSTER XLH??...sorry I can't post pics yet...still in build stage..tc (oldpan)*

How Low ya Want To Go.......

Oldpan....Lowering a Sportster is easy. For the rear you can get shorter shocks. Right now on the 'Pecker Head', I'm running 13" Progressives. They're a full 1-1/2" shorter then the stock units which were about 14-14-1/2". Depending on your body weight, set the adjusting cam on its lowest setting. (OK for 1 up riding, but you'll have to move the cam up a couple notches (makes it firmer) for two up riding. You should have no problem with clearance with the Progressives.
    To get the rear down even further you could use a seventies era 'Super Glide' 12-1/2" shocks or a new Progressive replacement for the Glides. It'll definitely drop the rear end. Though you may run into rear tire to fender clearance. You could add the 'Super Glide' rear fender with the Super Glides fender rails which will raise the whole fender up off the tire/frame about 1-1/2".
    Since you already have a 1974 XLH, your stock swing arm is an inch longer then the earlier 60's Sportsters. (This also makes the Super-Glides fender an overall better fit then the earlier 60's Sportster swing arm)
    If you want a hardtail, Santee still makes a bolt on and a weld on hardtail section that replaces your stock swing arm and shocks. It'll lower your back a couple inches and stretch the rear about four inches. The weld on looks best but it requires a lot of cutting, shaping and welding to get it right. The bolt on section is easy and reversable, so it won't hurt the stock frame.
    As for the front end.....you can go with shorter 'Progrerssive' springs and or shorter fork tubes (Try Frank's Engineering) or your favorite afternmarket bike shop. Very simple modifications.
    I'll try to post a pic of my 68 XLCH so you can see how well a hardtail Santee looks on the Sportster. Later... Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Thank you..I appreciate the info and help..tc

Comment

Also try the Super-Glide fender rails with your original Sportster fender. Later... Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Working...
        X