S & S Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S & S Carbs

This post is actually a question for Hardly Dangrs. I just bought a 1974 xlh that has been PUNCHED OUT to 1200 CC with a ???...S & S "C " SERIES CARB on it..it runs well , but I wondered if there is a better carb or SS series I should run...the bike is rough , but I PLAN on restoring it to some semblance of original....I would appreciate any opinions you may have on this and any info on good sources of parts for mid 70's ironheads besides ebay which I already use...THANKS, TOM COLBY (oldpan)*

Would like to add a second related question: Is anyone repoping stuff like original style pipes for a early 60s Sportster? Thanks.

Comment

Hello Colby, How's it going. Good thing is the 1974 Sportster is actually one of the best years of the 1000CC Motors. I'm running an S&S 'E' Shorty carb on my kickstart XLCH. Bike always starts in one to 3 kicks after initial primer kick. Cold or Hot (unless I do something stupid like flooding it.) I've done well over 100 and the bike motor just keeps pulling with the S&S. If you put a couple guys in the same room and one prefers Mikunis and the other an S&S, I'm sure both would make valid points on why their choice is best. But for me S&S is "THE CARB" for any Sportster or any Harley for that matter! Carbs are an art unto themselves. You can go onto the S&S Web Site and get lots of info on parts and setting them up correctly. The only other carb that I liked as much was the 'LECTRON'. I think its a great 'slide' carb and easy to set up since it only has 1 specially tapered needle that replace the slow/high speed jets. Definitely a different animal of a carb. Yes they are available thru some Old School Bike shops. Some guys like'em and some guys don't know enough about them to justify plunking down 3 Big Ones. You say your motor is punched out to 1200. Was this achieved thru a Bore And Stroke Kit?? I would assume that there is also some head work and possibly larger valves to go with it. Are you sure that's a"C" stamped into the S&S. I'm thinking its a "G" . Especially if its a newer S&S. I think that's the 2-1/16" Bore. That carb is designed for the larger displacement Big Twin Engines and Larger displacement Sportster Strokers. If your bike starts, idles and runs well with that carb and there's no spitting, hesitating at any RPM, then I say leave it alone. Somebody got the jetting correct. Would be good to find out and write down in your manual all the specs done to the motor and what jets are currently in the carb now. That will give you a good referance point if something begins to go wrong with the motor/carb later. I will Post some Web sites that cater to Sportster. Please note that I'm no expert, I just know what I like. Glad to see some Posts coming up on the Sportster Thread. I know there are a lot of early Sporty Iron Head Owners/Members out there. Hope some of them will jump in with more Questions and Answers! After all we all know its the Best Harley Ever Made!!....Ha..Ha.... ...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

John, I'll post a couple of Web sites that might help you. I do know that Paucho manufactures an early style Sportster exhaust pipe for K-Model Flathead and early Iron Head Sportsters with the full round radious type pipes. I think J&P Cycles sells them thru their Vintage parts catalog. Possible V-Twin manufactures them also. Again any good 'Old School' Bike Shop should be able to get them for you. Also, don't be afraid to ask the owners of these Shops if they have any parts laying around in the back. Yeah, I know, don't want the 'Big Twin' customers hear you asking for SPORTSTER parts. But you'd be surprise what some of these shops have laying around in the back, basement, rafters and attic spaces. (they keep that stuff there because they don't want to upset the Big Twin guys sensibilities!) Just a couple months ago, I was at one of my favorite shops and asked the owner if he knew where I could get a good front 19" Aluminum wheel. So he goes upstairs and comes back with perfectly good 19" front and 18" rear wheel assemblies for my 74!! He'd taken them off an old Sportster years ago and they've been upstairs all these years collecting dust...NO RUST EITHER!! I think I paid $35.00!! As for Mufflers (WHAT THE HELL IS A MUFFLER??) I don't know anyone manufacturing an exact repro muffler for the Sportster. One thing for sure, you can usually find lots of Sportster parts at all those Non-AMCA Swap meets. Any Members out there got any info? .... ...Later..Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

You are correct...thIs is actually a S & S SUPER B 81 ??...it is large and sticks out a mile...how about a shorty SUPER E to replace...from all the web sites I have looked out it seems to be a good choice??....also..I am looking for a stock set of front pegs and splined brackets to mount them..if you have any or anyone else out there knows OF A GOOD SET ,PLEASE LET ME KNOW...thanks again..TC (oldpan)*

Comment

Hey TC, The S&S Super B is a big carb. In that it has a long body and larger bore. The newer 'E' carb is much shorter and will give you more leg room. A great carb for Sportsters!! Now, the question is, can you jet it for the larger displacement 1200?? I think so, because they are sold for the 1200 Evos (I think). I think when you order the new S&S E carb they come with a couple different size jets. (Best to talk to S&S themselves. They have a Question/Tech phone line and Web Site.) Also the 'E' carb will be closer to 'Stock' appearance when sitting on the motor. So if you want to bring the Sportster back to a 'Stock' look, all you have to do is mount a stock air cleaner., (possibly with a little modifcation.) Of course, it'll never pass the Judges eyes if your intent is to bring the bike back to 'Original'. I believe if you decide to go for the new 'Bobber'/'Modified' Class the Super 'B' Carb would be 'Period' correct. That is, the 'B' was available in 1974 where as the 'E' was not available from S&S until recently. (I think!). Well at least you got a couple years to play with it and decide what you want to do. My 74 Sportster when finished will be a 'Period Correct' Drag Bike. (at least that's the original idea) Meanwhile, it's more a Bar Hopper. I've got a couple years to play with it too! Later.... ...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Hey TC, How about posting a photo or two of your new purchase!... ..Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

hey old pan im running a mag on my 68 been looking for a s&s b need to measure from the lowest point on carb to engine case right below carb to see if it will fit on mine s&s says the e & g wont fit mine want to have it ready for next season need to run and start good as I only have one good kick leg anymore ( the left one) thanks mike

Comment

Working...
                X