No announcement yet.

Hrdly-Dangrs' Project Sportster Drag Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're into period modified, why not try an S&S G, or GAL carb?
    I think they clear the magneto with use of the 1" spacer. Or is that what you are running now?
    VPH-D

Comment

going to run this s&s b model with a adjustable main jet so I can run gas or alcohol as we have 85%alcohol 15%gas available at gas stations here in iowa. I might have to adjust it for straight gas if i get out of state. lean out the main and im ready for the gas again.so I got a 1968 ironhead flex fuel bike with no sensors or electrics to screw up on me.

Comment

Is that bike what they call a "sleeper"?

I'm getting interested in older Sportsters....

Comment

shhh! Iowa state patrol just got a fleet of those new dodge chargers that can run 140+MPH just trying to keep up! the spacer will work on the b model this one has a pump so it was ready but now the heads are going to be polished just as soon as I build my flow bench(using a large shop vac and some big vacume gauges) A old ironhead in a second gear wheelie is fun!

Comment

WOW, would you believe how much time has gone by since I first post this Thread.

Been meaning to take this sticky photo down, but figured I'd leave it up for inspiration...MY OWN THAT IS...HA!!

As to whether I've actually completed the project...the answer is NO...not yet. Still collecting parts and manufacturing (myself) the parts I want to use on this bike.

Meanwhile, this 74XLCH so-called "Drag Bike" has been relagated to street use only...especially since I sold off my BT project last year (don't ask). Although the 74 hasn't Officially seen the local Drag Strip...'YET'.... Its sure is fun blasting off from the red lights around here. Surprised some of those jap multi's now and then.

I have to say though that its been damn reliable and has taken one hell of an abuse these past couple seasons. From full on throttle runs to Yes, even having to suffer the installation of a OEM white 'Buddy' seat to accomodate the missus!!! Yikes.

Since Winter will be upon us before we know it, I think perhaps I'll hole up this year in my shop and get those much needed parts finished. The rear sets/strut combo are going to be priority one.

I'll take the bike down to its nuts and bolts and check out wear patterns and replace/rebuild whatever is needed. The barrels have held up good and to me they are 'seasoned' and I'll clean them up with a fresh bore/hone. If I can afford it, I'm considering a new S&S crank...again if I can afford it. That would be a real luxury item for me. Might be out of the question thou since the project was always a backyard garage 'Period Correct' street legal Weekend type Drag Bike.

By-the-way...in case anyone has considered drilling holes thru their Heads fins like I have but fear cracking of the fins.....to date no fins have broke or cracked from vibration. So give it a try if you like the look. I did all the heads fins both vertical and horizontal where i could get a drill bit thru on this bike.

I have nothing but good things to say for the S&S 'E' carb. Just a great carb and 'Period Correct' in looks. I've Only used the Tear Drop air filter, but will re-jet and put on the 4' Velocity stack once I get it to the track.

In the weight department, I should be able to shed some more lbs off the bike by next season thru various aluminum/fiberglass parts. Of course I have been able to shed 20lbs off the rider portion of the total Rider/Bike weight combination. Belive me that's harder then replacing steel parts with home made aluminum ones...HA!!

Well that's it.....REMEMBER....IRONHEADS RULE!!...and

NEVER GROW UP NEITHER...YOU'LL JUST FIND YOURSELF GETTING OLD.... Hrdly

Comment

I would like to see a pic of your drilled fins been thinking about doing that also.

Comment

MMoore, I have to correct my sentence on that last post....It should read that I drilled both the 'HEADS' fins.

I will correct the last post. After re-reading it, it appears that I was saying I also drilled the cylinder fins...which I did not at the time...BUT I will be doing that this year.

I have a couple of photos...I will try to post them here on this thread in the next couple minutes....If I can't I'll e'mail them to you.

I always like drilled out fins...just a real Hot Rod type thing one did back in the old days. Hrdly

Comment

OK, here goes...a photo of the left side of the heads.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Heres another shot, different angle...this one gets a good shot of all the fins.

I want to drill the cylinder fins also. The trick is going to be lining up the holes with the heads. Bolting the head to the cylinder for initial marking should do it for some of them, but not others because as you can see by the photo I can't get a drill bit or pencil thru all the holes to make the line-up mark on the top cylinder fin. Hrdly

Hey...how do you like that Primary cover?? That's a whole story in itself.
                    Attached Files

Comment

very nice the heads look great(except the red rocker nuts always hated them) silver on black cyls is not common around here looks sharp love the primary also I been thinking of how to fabricate a cover for my 68 It will be easy as I dont have a button starterI have a primary belt a spacer and a tin cover now well I better get my drill ready this winter

Comment

ps use a L shaped scribe to line up the holes

Comment

Ok, here's the story on this primary cover since you mentioned a primary belt and spacer on yours.

When I first picked-up this bike my sole intention was to build a weekend 'Period Correct' 1974 Sporty Drag Bike. In my head I pretty much knew what I wanted to do to it and the period H.P parts I wanted to use and would need to find.

Enter the Primo belt drive system. I wanted a belt drive, which were available for the early Ironheads but not being manufactured anymore. Of course I went to searching and after a short while found one on E'bay sans the belt itself. Next a little measuring and checking of needed teeth/length belt I needed and bingo, I found a new belt. that would fit.

With that done I turned my sights to the aluminum Primary cover itself, I knew how I wanted to cut it and of course it would be lightened further with holes. That accomplished I set the finished primary cover aside.

What I did not know at the time was that I would have to make a couple mods to the front sprocket...namely turn down the back side of the sprockets external ridge where it slips over the crankshaft and inside the front crankshaft seal. (I learned the hard way about this by not checking and 'ASS'uming it would just go same fit as the stock metal tooth sproket.)

The early Belt Drive sprocket has a wider crankshaft/seal boss O.D. diameter which will not allow it to go into the 1974 crankshaft seal. In other words if you try to bolt it on without checking seal fit, you will crush the 1974 crankshaft seal...TRUST ME ON THIS ONE....Ha!

OH and by the way...The original advertisement for this early Belt Drive listed the 74XLCH inclusive for the mod....WRONG.

Having tapped and plug up the common hole between the transmission and primay cavity and making a breather tube for the transmission thru a drilled hole in one of the rear tranny motor mount bolts, bolting on the whole belt drive set-up...mind you before I realized the issue about the seal/front sprocket thing. I set off down the road for a test run.....

Beautiful...unbelievably quiet and smooth....I'll order a couple extra belts right away. The weight differance between the stock metal sprocket/chain set-up and the aluminum hub/belt set is a lot. Wow I thought this is great!! a couple lbs off the primary drive system will definitely make for quick revs and more gained H.P. Yeah Great....

Great alright....that is until I got back to the shop where upon looking down to check my handi-work I see my left pant leg and newly cut primay cover full of oil. What the hell??

Put the bike up on the lift and as I was going over the mods I'd made to keep oil from getting into the now open primary side I decided to take off the belt drive set-up and have a closer look.

Here's what I found out.

1. Crushed the crankshaft seal....ok I'll have to turn down the front belt drive pully as mentioned earlier....no problem just put it on the lathe. Problem solved.

2. Oil getting onto the belt and primary and everywhere.....But from where??....Front seal???...no, surprising not even though the seal was crushed...no oil leaking there. Then where??

3. Surprise!!....oil was weeping out from the clutch basket shaft where it enters into the Clutch basket. Why??...beacuse the 71 and later XLCH has a different clutch Basket set-up which doesn't include the earlier style clutch hub seal.

Remember, the earlier Sporty could run a dry Primary belt set-up and open primary because of the type of enclosed clutch cover...you know that tin 'Baby Moon' type cover that bolts to the clutch basket with a thin paper gasket.

Yep turns out the trans oil on the 1974 will weep out thru the clearance in the clutch hub shaft and bearing area and centrifical force will throw the oil all over the spinng clutch basket onto everything in sight

Who Knew..certainly not me at the time.

Only solution would be to dismantle the transmission pull the shaft from the clutch basket area and machine in some type of groove to install a seal of some type, plus replace the tranny bearing with a shielded one....PHEW...not going to happen for me anytime soon I figured.

So I sold off the belt drive (with appropriate warnings as to what year XL'x it will and will not fit) on E'bay. removed the initial mods I made and Installed another unmolested primary cover and went back to a wet clutch...for now.

I have a nice wall hanging of a cut-down and drilled out 74 XLCH Primary cover. Hrdly
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mmoore
                            I been thinking of how to fabricate a cover for my 68 It will be easy as I dont have a button starterI have a primary belt a spacer and a tin cover now well I better get my drill ready this winter
                            Since you have the belt drive system with the 1"or so spacer, what about using a flat piece of aluminum, cut out a hole at the rear portion just enough to clear the clutch basket and tin cover, then drill it full of nicely spaced holes and finish off with nice hand polishing or maybe even have the flat aluminum cover done up in an engine turn pattern leaving it solid or adding drilled holes. Hrdly

Comment

Originally posted by mmoore
                              ps use a L shaped scribe to line up the holes
                              Good idea. I'll use it. Thanks. Hrdly

Comment

that would work! cut ironhead in it and add a led lite to lite it up inside going to make a few drawings now thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X