No announcement yet.

Sportster...The Best Bike??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Mark. I'll keep it in mind. How's the Knuckle Replica coming along? Great Notch Inn usually had a few bikes outside whenever I rode by. Think I may have stopped in there once or twice way back when. Remember 'Rocky's' Hot Dog shack just up the road? More then likely I was heading up North to the Stanhope House that evening!....Later... ...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Hey k.perry, were you running an early Goodyear with the single wide tread gap down the middle (I forget the actual Goodyear style numbers.) I was running the early one myself. Always liked the look of those tires, but they're not noted for their stopping capabilities. Wore like iron though. I think the problem with them on the Sportster was due to the lighter weight on the tire. I ran mine at 12-15# pressure. Any higher and the bike would literally bounce over bumps....Stock Sporty swingarm frame or modified hardtail....didn't matter!... ...Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Hrdly-Dangrs,
        The bike is coming along. I have to get the front fender lamp wired. I'm holding off on that until Oley so I can get a good birds eye view of the wire routing. Next hurdle will be the gas tanks. The right half fits nicely but the left side is askew. The mount that the stud screws into on the tank is off enough to be a problem. The lower mounts do not line up well enough with the bracket on the down tubes. I still need to get the dash, cover and speedo. We shall see how that lines up. I'm not complaining though. After I get that stuff sorted out it is on to the trans. I'm looking forward to that one. If the motorcycle gods are with me hopefully I will be tooling down the road next summer (or the summer after next). The time spent on this will be worth it.

Markz

Comment

1957 sportster

I have been a AMCA member for a couple of years and I'm glad to have found this forum. I have a 57 sporty and I went down to Eustis and got a Junior second place. I had a few point taken off that was questionable, but it was a learning experience. I will be ready for my Junior first place the next time!!! I also have a late 84 sporty that I ride daily and I ride it hard!!! I will be packing up both sportys and heading up to Milwaukee for the 100th anniversary bash, I hope that I can meet up with as many old Ironheads as possible!!!! Thanks Reece

Comment

Point Reduction - / ? - / ? - / ?

Reece, how about sharing with us the questionable point deductions. Might help some of us other Sportster owners avoid the same mistake. Was it due to a questionable new or aftermarket part, wrong paint or ?? What steps will you take to correct?? Your experience is a perfect subject for the Sportster Thread!....Later... .....Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Working...
            X