2003 V-Twin Catalog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 V-Twin Catalog

The new catalog has a shralping swath of rear tire burn-out across the cover. Wonder what new Replica items they have this year? Last year they released the jockey lid tranny top, and Parkerized star hub covers, Knuckle heads, Pan heads and alot of stuff you just have to find by looking through it. Available December 22. Hit the new year running.

V twin

Kirk,
    About ten or so years ago I purchased some parts from V twin. I was so unhappy with the poor quality of these parts I did not put them on my bike and swore never to use them again. I was not the only person who had that opinion at the time. Has the quality improved over the years.
    Doug

Comment

I have bought repro parts from V-Twin much more recently than 10 years ago (within last year) and for the most part they were cheaply made and junk. Why are there so many posts on this board about exciting new V-Twin parts? Just my opinion.

Comment

Yes, their quality has improved. Tedd Cycle is dedicated to the antique aftermarket. No one else can do it better. The junk parts are scattered around. Some might be old stock. Depends on what part you bought and who the vendor was. I bought a motor sprocket from them in '96. It fit loose on the shaft...and that's no good. But I have'nt received a junk Knuckle or Pan part since then, except in June of 2000. I ordered a set of (stock) Pan header pipes that arrived with no relief-notches cut around the hub of the pipes. A (set)... with no relief- notches. Where did those headers come from? Taiwan...we're sure. How many people handled that set of headers and never noticed that there were no relief notches cut in them? I noticed them..I called V-Twin"s tech (when I had an (800) "hot" line to Newburg), and the tech flipped out. His genuine astonishment, led me to believe that "some sections... of the re-pop manufacturing "thing", are moving like an out-of-round-ball;" and that junk parts are a combination of: the small batch lots of parts being produced; carrying a huge inventory of parts from various vendors, and (non-motorcycle) people packing orders, and pulling parts from bins that failed to receive quality control at the manufacturing site. I think that "Lifeline" (An Anaheim, Calif. Co. that goes to Taiwan to set up the jigs) now has a quality control program installed in Taiwan. My knuckle heads and rocker arms and shafts are perfect. The rocker covers came in their own thin wall-brown-stapled-Taiwan-style box. Ditto for the rocker arms. V-Twin is making affordable parts that work. I put my money on them. If you get a bad part, send it back. They won't charge you a re-stock fee. It's a waste of time and tire rubber, for sure. UPS does O.K. on all of this though (sending parts back and forth). I know the parts are better than before. Anyone ever seen their 61" Knuckle cylinders with the embossed casting numbers on the bottom? Hold it up against a "real" one and compare. No, it's not 40,000 lb. compression strength like an S&S cylinder, but for a stock-bore 61 & 74", they do the job. Like V-Twin said once, (one single printing)...in a flyer,.."Come Grow With Us". It takes time to turn things around, with that many parts and vendors to deal with, and to get it "right" (in a cubic, overall way). I think that their "Motor Shop Ready!" logo means that they stand behind their assemblys. If you buy a Taiwan part from someone else, chances are it's coming from the same vendor (chapter) that supplies V-Twin. These are my opinions after connecting-the-dots from bits of information I have received over the years from different sources. The newest benefit to V-Twin dealers is that we can now charge items to a credit card and stop those blood draining C.O.D. charges. Except, I applied for "credit status" more than a month ago and my account still isn't approved. Is there anybody out there that has an "open account" with V-Twin? I would think...not.

Comment

Kirk,
          When building anything I always like to keep in mind the fact that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. There is a tremendous amount of effort involved in producing quality motor parts that goes unseen. I would never use a rocker shaft or any bearings or cyllinders made in taiwan because I do not feel their understanding of metalurgy is up to snuff. Sure you may shell out more hard earned cake for an original harley part or a quality USA or European reproduction, however frequently the most expensive part in the long run is the cheapest.
          As for me I cringe when I see a Vails gate v-twin sign up on a shop wall as it says to me these people either do not know "quality" or care to use the best stuff.The discussion might be a little tedious at times but one of the best discussions of quality is presented in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance".
          I am amazed when I see a buisness thrive by producing what I view as junk. I know about five words in Latin, however Latin quotes seem to speak volumes with great clarity and simplicity so I will sign off with CAVEAT EMPTOR
          Doug

Comment

V-Twin Frame and Repro Parts

Since we're on the subjects of V-Twin and Repro parts. Last year I purchased a V-Twin hardtail frame from J&P Cycle. I purchased it with the EVO Fatbob tank mount setup as I have a nice pair of New tanks from a 94 Heritage Softail (a beautiful blue color with that great retro arrow decal in orange/red/gold!) I ordered the straightleg frame w/early Pan stock rake capable of accepting Evo motors down thru Knuckles I believe. Anyway, my intention is to build a modern 'Old style' Panhead using either a new H-D Evo motor w/a Retro- Panhead cover top or S&S Pan motor, depending on how much money I have for the motor. H-D Evo is about 2900.00 and the S&S Pan is 4300.00. My objective on this project is to have a Retro-Style Panhead for two-up riding that I can ride all year round come rain or snow. That means most parts will be painted black including the wheels w/little chrome here and there. Also thought I might be able to bring it in for around 10,000+ (do-able I think with the Evo Motor.) Except for some tiny spatter bumps from the welds, the frame appears to be straight, well made with nice welds. The tank along with a mounting kit bolted right on no problems. Hope the floorboard mts and shift/brake parts go as smoothly. Anyone hear of any negative comments about these frames I should know about?? How about the 4 spd/kickstart transmissions from Milwaukee Twins (about 1600.00 thru J&P)?? Any opinion on Nostalgia Cycle's early stock style Hydra-Glide front-ends?? All these items are American made and I'm trying to keep it as close to 100% American as I can using new and original parts. Although this is an excercise in creating a 'Retro-Style' bike, I think the more info we have on current/future 'Repro' mfgrs/suppliers and their products the better! Surely these parts will become more essential to our hobby as our club's membership grows and the sources for original parts become increasingly difficult to find, NOT TO MENTION VERY EXPENSIVE! Appreciate any info on above parts and comments... Hrdly-Dangrs NOTE: This frame is not the 'Replica' frame that sells at 1600.00, rather the V-Twins other 'Early Style' frame selling at 850.00 for use with rear disc brake set-up and early style 4 spd kickstart trans.

Comment

For 2003, we get our own "Vintage" catalog, 1915-1969. The big blue book has 1044 pages, up from 1012 of last year. The new Vintage catalog (VT 48-0026) has 288 pgs. and a one page (quik-scan) index that list everything you need. No retail price on the (VT 10-2016) Alloy 74" Replica Pan motor ('55-61 w/ O-ring intake and spigot exh.), but it looks like maybe between $5,500- and $6 grand). The motors have a V-Twin crankcase and heads; Sifton oil/breather assembly; S&S stock stroke flywheel; Timken bearing, stock FLH cam matched w/ pinion and cam gear w/ Torrington bearing; hydraulic tappets; cast 8.5:1 pistons and Hastings rings; Replica iron oil pump; pre-run and factory tested for oil pressure. Find yourself a Linkert M74-B.
              How much case strength is necessary with a 61 or 74" motor or cam cover anyway? You have precision internals, and the same cam cover bushing you would have in an S&S or S.T.D motor right? Same cam, same bearings, etc., and V-Twin has been brand naming their own Taiwan pistons since I became a dealer in '93. Call Zoom Cycle (888) 316-1994 or http://www.zoomcyclellc.com and see if they'll send you a copy of the Vintage Guide (48-0026). Consider building it "dripless," with a 11mm (OEM enclosed) belt drive.
              Put men and/or women on both Replica Knuckle and Pan machines (w/ Linkert fed motors) at N.Y.'s Coney Island and let them drive over to Cardiff Market (next to Starbucks) on the west coast. Test them like they did in the old days. Give the riders a credit card and tell them...."GO!".

Comment

I restore knuckles, pans, and flatheads for a living and unfortunately have to use V Twin parts from time to time as there are situations that arise where none other are available. There is no consistancy in manufacturing with these products, but unfortunatlely the bigger companys will not bother making these parts as they are small batches and considered trivial. I have found that there are people in the hobby that are making small batches of high quality parts in limited quantities, Vee Twin buys these parts and sends them over to their factory in Tiawan and they come back looking like the original part, but do not fit or function like the real thing. If you spend the time to reproduce something why don't you do it right? I am forced to use these these parts from time to time because no others are available. I have my own fully equipped motorcycle and machine shop at my disposal as well as 30 years on experience, but I have pity on the hobbiest who is trying to use these parts to restore one bike in his home garage. As for the reproduction frames I have only used one, which the frame neck was not on center and the seat post had to be moved back for motor clearance. Once again I was able to overcome these problems as I am also in the frame repair business and have made all of the jigs and fixtures to straighten them. Again what about the little guy who is working in his home garage. A few years ago Vee Twin had some knuckle cylinders on the market that would self destruct after a few miles of use, usually taking out the cases along with other motor parts. I just about ran a couple on some motors I was building at the time, but saw first hand the damage they inflicted. I did some research and found that a lot of people had had the same problems and when Vee Twin was contacted about it they would replace the cylinders with the same junk. They also kept selling the same junk cylinders until their inventory was depleted instead of pulling them off of the market and melting them back down. I still buy from Vee Twin because there is no where else to get some of the items, but I am prepared to do some work on most of the products I receive. I have found that if it says replica the parts are of better quality. The best parts are the ones made by individuals in the AMCA and you will only find them by going to the meets and road runs and networking with other members. Get out and mingle with other members, ask some questions, and you will find these people and become less dependent on V Twin.

Comment

German Knuckle/Pan Heads and Cylinders

Carl, I seem to remember reading about a company in Germany that's putting out top quality Knuckle Heads and Cylinders. Can,t find the address right now. Any info or experience with these guys? Do you know if their putting out Pan items too? Your experience with that V-Twin frame makes me wonder. I have a pnuematic, steel, full length 'Handi-Lift' so I can clamp it down and take measurements. My frame is not the 'Replica' one but is stock spec & rake hardtail w/slight height added to clear an EVO motor. I think I'll take some measurements according to the Panhead Service manual I have. I'll use the Bar thru the neck and long flat rule aginst the transmission mount. Should give me a good idea as to the trueness of the neck. Always appreciate any advice/tips from guys in the field of restorations. ....Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

I've ridden a nonstock '47 Knuck since 1979 and for most of that time it was my only bike. I have been through the motor twice, the heads to many times to remember and the trans twice. I have had no problems due to parts and have used V-twin parts many times. I've "hand fit" plenty of parts over the years and have come to expect a little sanding/filing. I sent a few back that were junk though. Most recently I finally removed the 2" over wide glide and installed the correct springer. The front and rear legs are original, but most of the rest had to come from several catalogs. I just sat down and ordered from the cheapest one. I had no problems and many of the parts were V-twin. My last head work was done in a local shop and the rocker and shaft needed came, I think, from Knucklehead Power in Sarasota, Florida. They fit great. You never really know about the metal though. My jugs are original and the local HD dealer sent them out to be resleaved many years ago.

Comment

Become a V-Twin Dealer

Here's the address: http://www.vtwinmfg.com/ click on the catalog. Pull a city business license and phone number, open a bank account (usually required to float at least 3 grand to keep from paying bank service charges), put some address numbers on your garage, take some pix inside and out, send in your "app.," cross your fingers and wait. V-Twin is different than Custom Chrome and all others. They recognize a garage shop without a store front. Some states like Texas don't. Calif. does.
                      Sell Knuckle kits to your neighbors. In tight money, I read that Arthur Davidson went to farm states, because farmers would have cash after harvest. I think the best resource today is with boat owners. The longer they have been parked on the street, the better. The pitch would be that, "they sell their boats and build a kit. A motorcycle takes up less space and no, the family can't ride it, but they will like you much better as a person, once you're focused and confident with a hobby you can live." Good dealers steer customers toward (dripless) belt drive primarys.

Comment

Working...
                      X