Thomsen motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomsen motorcycles

Whilst pursuing my interest in Militaire motorcycles I came across the article reprinted below and the attached picture concerning a “THOMSEN” motorcycle in the 6th May 1915 issue of the English motorcycle magazine “THE MOTOR CYCLE”.

This motorcycle must surely be a Militaire clone but all my research to date has been unable to turn up any mention of this bike.

Does anyone out there have any information or knowledge of the THOMSEN motorcycle? It doesn’t matter how small or trivial the snippet of information may be I would like to here about it.

When studying the attached picture please note the tubular chassis/frame and the long leaf springs which extend back from under the gearbox to the centre of the rear axle. These features are different from standard Militaire practice but the rear springing looks the same as that in photos of that other Militaire clone the Champion.

The mention of Sankey style steel wheels and if I interpret the text correctly an electric starter is also not standard Militaire practice. Any evidence of a battery to power the starter or even the lights for that matter is not apparent in the picture.

So come on you historians of American motorcycles please enlighten us with some information on this obscure U.S. machine.

Also if anyone out there has any printed information or anything what-so-ever on Militaire / Militor / Champion and now Thomsen motorcycles that they are prepared to sell or copy please contact me so we can negotiate a deal.

Quote from “THE MOTOR CYCLE 6th May 1915”

THE NEAREST APPROACH TO A CAR
    A Solo Mount with Three Speeds and Reverse

We have several times in these pages dealt with motorcycles built on the principle of a fully-fledged motor car, and one of the most striking examples of this practice is reproduced in the accompanying illustration of the American Thomson car, motor cycle, as it is called.
    The machine is handled in this country by Messrs. Meredith, Dent, and Stephens, 16, Regent Street, London. It is neat in appearance, has a low saddle position, comfortable footboards, and efficient mudguarding, which latter has been particularly well carried out.
    POWER UNIT FEATURES
    The power unit embodies many novel and interesting features. The general design and construction of the engine and gearbox unit follow the lines of orthodox car practice, with the exception of the cylinders, which are air-cooled.
    The engine is rated at 7 h.p., and drives through a dry plate clutch to the gear box, in which three speeds forward and a reverse are provided, with a direct drive in top, the gate change lever being mounted on an extension of the top cover of the gear box. The propeller-shaft is tubular, and has a universal joint at the front end. The frame is carried fore and aft on springs of good length, whilst the wheels are the steel type, similar to the Sankey wheel, and are fitted with voitarette tyres.
    Standardised features include electric equipment, with a dynamo and lighting set, and a powerful engine starter. Balance wheels are provided, which may be let down from the drivers seat, by means of which the machine may be kept on an even keel, what time the engine is started. On attaining a sufficient speed the idler wheels may be raised by means of a pedal.
    Attached Files

Thomsen Motorcycles

Hey! Doesn't anybody out there know anything at all about these unusual American motorcycles.
    I'm sure someone must be able to throw some light on the subject. What about it?

Tommo

Comment

I posted this enquiry four years ago and failed to get even one response so I thought it might just pay to bring it to the top of the list and try my luck again.
      I do own a c1915-1916 Militaire that is as far as I'm aware the most original unrestored example there is.
      The original owner bequeathed it to my father on the condition it was never to be sold out of our family, so I suppose we have a Two Owners from new machine.
      I hope this explains my interest in Militaires and it's clones.

Tommo

Comment

A restored militare was just shown in the San Francisco CA show. Maybe that guy has some info? Just putting a story together now about the event.

Comment

G'day Tommo.
          Any chance of some photos of your bike? I'm sure we'ld all love to see it mate.

Best wishes from across the pond.

Ken.

Comment

Hey Tommo,

Check out the Legend of the Motorcycle thread. Pages 18 and 19 have some pics you might want to have a look at............

Comment

Baytown,
              I'll try but my computor skills seem to fail the old chap whenever I try to attach anything, especially on this forum.

c.o.
              Have viewed them and they are excellent.

Does anybody know if this is the ex Bill Harrah Militaire that is now owned by Richard Morris?

Tommo

Comment

Another source of photos from that event is:
                http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8IZuHLFmxcuNA
                included prior to each bike is a photo of it's info sheet. The Militaire photos are in the range of 73-84 and indeed it lists Richard Morris as the owner ... Perry

Comment

I've had a tutor here today in an attempt to upgrade my computor skills so here goes with a couple of pictures of the Militaire.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sorry but it didnt like the second picture. I must have more to learn. That'll teach me for getting cocky.

Comment

Cool bike Tommo! I'm hoping that you take it for a spin once in awhile!

Comment

It gets used

Comment

Good to hear! That's what it's all about!!!!

Comment

To quote 'Monty Python', and envoke the wrath of the dreaded auto censor --- " You Lucky, Lucky Ba#@$rd!"

Good on you Tommo.

Best wishes from across the puddle.

Ken.

Comment

Great looking machine. Neat to see! Look forward to hearing it run one day.

And yes - you have discovered that you can only attach one picture per post. On a direct upload. You can cheat this by replying to your own post and attaching a 2nd picture.

Your do'in good! Old dog - new tricks!!! hee-hee....

Comment

Working...
                              X