paint color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint color

Can anyone help me with the correct base color for a 1915 Excelsior? I know it is a light gray, but is there a particular brand and color name that I can get that is correct? Please respond to my Email - bas2910@aol.com Thanks

Excelsior Grey

There's a near perfect color match to Excelsior's "French Grey" available in a spray can!

It's a fast dry enamel by Varsity called DOVE GREY, P-364. I got mine at PEP-Boys automotive for about $3 per can, but I think you can also order it direct thru Carrus Supply Co. 1-800-934-3666 but it will be much more expensive thru them.

Jerry

Comment

And can anyone say what the right blue color is for an Exxcelsior serie 20 yar 1921. I have seen light blue and very deep blue..There ought to be some general description.The only one i know is deep royal blue. This was what I found on the handlebars.color swedish excelsior.jpgBlue colour_redigerad-1.jpg

Comment

Excelsior, and Henderson used a very dark blue, often referred to as Packard Blue. In low light, it looks black. I had a series 20 Excelsior which I got from a very knowledgeable Excelsior collector. He had a number of original paint parts and due to age, they looked black, until you wet sanded them to reveal a very dark blue. On a Series 20, most everything is painted dark blue, with the exception of the headlight, horn, horn bracket, ammeter brkt. tail light, and fork rockers. If you're lucky enough to have the Midco generator, it would be dark blue. The following pictures are of my '17 Henderson which is painted with a NAPA Dodge truck fleet color I got from Dick Winger. Unfortunately NAPA discontinued a huge portion of their catalog and that color was among them.

Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I should mention that ancillary parts on the Henderson are painted black; like the seat springs wheel rims, handlebars, rear stand, so you can see that in low light, the black, and blue almost look the same.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

I don't want to "hijack" this thread but I am wondering if there is a modern equivalent paint for series 18/19 excelsior ?? I asked this question in the "American Other" section but just noticed this and thought the question is more appropriate here ,
            as always, thanks
            Dan

Comment

Dan, this is a spot on paint formula for the drab green Excelsior, and Henderson used from 1917-1919. I was not able to get it mixed on my last try because it is formulated with Centari color numbers; which are obsolete. Please let me know if you can find someone that can do this.

Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

As far as judging goes we look for the color and not so much the shade of the color as paint varied from batch to batch,
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I believe you are right, Chris. I wonder what a batch quantity was, and how accurate a paint mixer was if he was mixing 100 gallons at a time.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    Excelsior, and Henderson used a very dark blue, often referred to as Packard Blue. In low light, it looks black. I had a series 20 Excelsior which I got from a very knowledgeable Excelsior collector. He had a number of original paint parts and due to age, they looked black, until you wet sanded them to reveal a very dark blue. On a Series 20, most everything is painted dark blue, with the exception of the headlight, horn, horn bracket, ammeter brkt. tail light, and fork rockers. If you're lucky enough to have the Midco generator, it would be dark blue. The following pictures are of my '17 Henderson which is painted with a NAPA Dodge truck fleet color I got from Dick Winger. Unfortunately NAPA discontinued a huge portion of their catalog and that color was among them.
                    Exeric, my 1923 Big X still has some original paint left and I agree it is a very dark blue color. The handlebars appear to be original paint and they are black like the Henderson of the same era. I think the footboards may have been black as well if you go by the little bit of paint left. Tinware, frame and forks have all been dark blue. Wheels are grey, spokes and all with a black line (I assume its not just dark blue that has got darker with age) on either side of the rim.

Comment

I agree with you about the colors of particular items, Ben. This is a picture of my Series 20 Ex, which I can't date because I can't remember the serial # There really wasn't a lot of information about Excelsiors in the early '90s, and even still, when it comes to minutia details. I painted the handlebars dark blue but I don't this that was correct. I know where this bike is, and I have been trying to get it back for many years so I could make a better attempt at the restoration. It belongs to one of my best friends, and he is a hoarder. It hasn't changed since this picture was taken. He's never ridden it, has done absolutely nothing to it, never will, and will not sell it. I've often wondered where it's going to wind up.

Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                      X