Henderson...Need some general information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henderson...Need some general information

Hi Guys. I am an US ex-pat working in Asia. I came across and old crate here in warehouse and found that it contained a very old Henderson in good condition. Appears to be a pre 1920 in-line 4...complete and seems to be in good condition. Blue paint, white tires, leather seat...all there but needs restoration. The old owner has no information on the bike or idea where it came from as it has been sitting in this warehouse for years. Bought it. I am looking for a place to get general and specific information in regard to what I actually purchased as well as information on restoration locations or sources for parts. Any help???? Resources can be anywhere in the world. If you have an info on where I can obtain information on old Henderson Motorcycles, I am interested. I can send e-mail photos if this helps. Need even basic information like year, model, is this bike rare? Appreciate any reply. Thanks.

Also, anyone have an e-mail contact address for Henderson? They only have phone number on website...

Brian

henderson general info

I can probably help you with the ID process. Pre-1918 models had a 4 did*** serial number on the fly wheel housing. The 1918 and 1919 models were #'d in the same place. However 1918 models had an "H" or possibly "H2" prefix before the serial number. The 1919 models had a "Z" prefix. Serial numbers 1920 and up through the end of production were marked on the edge of the magneto pedestal. Matching #s were stamped in the lower case on a semi-circular boss below the threaded area for the left main shaft bushing. The lower cases of earlier models were also stamped in various locations on the underside of the lower pan in the vicinity of the gear case/transmission areas. The 1920-21 models had a "K" prefix and the 1922-28 models had a "D" prefix. It is my belief that white tires were out with a the advent of the balloon tire in late 1924/25. Cosequently, your bike is probably earlier and that is a good thing. Hendersons were widely exported 1917 to 1921 and good complete examples of these models are not plentiful. If you care to, my email address is hensteveamc@aol.com if you have more specific questions you'd like me to try and answer. Regards, Steve

Comment

PS Henderson general info

Also, bikes as a rule were painted blue 1917 and earlier and 1920 and up.The 1918/19 models were an olive drab color. This is not to say there weren't exceptions. The 1917 model was the first with an integral 3 speed transmission. The earlier models had a small gear case for a through-put shaft only. Prior to 1922, all motors were mounted directly on top of the frames. The 1922 and up models featured lug castings which allowed the motor to be mounted inside the frame in a lower position. Send me a serial number and I can give you an exact year.

Comment

mem no.

Brian, email me your AMCA membership number please.

Comment

Brians Hend photo

Ok, Brian is registering to get his AMCA membership number. He was kind enough to send me this photo of the Henderson that fate brought to him. Incredible what is just lying around. He's going to restore and ride her. She looks like a runner!
          Attached Files

Comment

Henderson

Brian!!!!!!!! don't restore a damn thing! do you know what you have. just leave it alone ! make it run if you want but don't touch the rest please!!!!!!!!! FatDog

Comment

Hi Brian
              Nice find ! It sounds like something we all dream of. Please don't restore it . If you want to ride it ,one thing that you will have to do is replace the tires .Coker Vintage Tires probably makes the correct reproduction tires for it. But save the old ones even if they're no good . And save anything else that you remove
              weather its any good or not. That bike is a time capsule ,a once in a lifetime find,a real piece of history. Good Luck
              Bruce

Comment

Hello Brian,
                You are very fortunate to have found such a lovely condition bike
                Please don't restore it, just carry out any essential safety points and enjoy it as it is, it's a great piece of Henderson history.
                Good luck with it, ride safe. Ken

Comment

Henderson numbers/years

Look at my Excelsior thread. I have there posted a list of engine numbers and production years for both Excelsior and Henderson. Look at your engine, and compare the number to my list.

Comment

Working...
                  X