Factory Grounding of the Headlight Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Grounding of the Headlight Shell

Can someone tell me how the factory grounded the headlight shell to the fork on an offset springer (I assumes its the same on all late 40's springers)? I assume the headlight bracket paint has to be cleared from where the bracket meets the fork to transfer ground to the fork. But, how does the headlight shell ground to the headlight bracket? Does the paint need to be cleared from the underside of the bracket where the concave washer meets the bracket? Or, is the paint cleared from the bottom of the headlight shell where it meets the top of the headlight bracket (paint also cleared from the top of the bracket where the headlight meets it)?

I appreciate the information.

I dont know what the factory did, but I just went through a grounding issue on 38, finally took a Dremel and cleared a bare spot on headlight shell and bracket. All good now.

Comment

Refreshing this question - does anyone have guidance on headlight shell grounding?

Comment

Originally the headlight bucket was grounded through the springer fork and the steering head bearings to the frame. The bearings are lubed with grease so this is not an ideal path for a ground back to the frame. It is however what was usually relied on. The proper solution is to run an external ground, extra wire, from the bucket back to the frame. Judges will frown on this riders will love it.

Comment

I think he's asking about shell to bracket and bracket to fork "connections", possibly to make his own as accurate as possible. JMHO.....Smitty

Comment

I think the 44 and later shells had a hole for a ground wire to attach, but I don't know where the other end of the wire went...
            VPH-D

Comment

Refreshing this question - does anyone have guidance on headlight shell grounding?
              Headlight connected to bracket through mount bolt.
              Bracket connected to springer and handlebar through 3 bolts.

Comment

Thanks for the contributions. Smitty is correct - I would like to know how the shell was grounded from the factory. I am trying to make the bike accurate, with a good ground. This is a 47F & 48FL.
                Regarding the screw on the back of the shell, I am fairly sure this is for grounding the socket to the shell.

I need to verify how the painted shell grounds to the bracket. Is the paint removed from the shell where it meets the bracket, or is it through the stud / curved washer to a cleaned off underside of the headlight bracket? I assume the second option.

Next, how does the bracket ground to the fork? This must be by cleared off paint where the bracket meets the frame, at one, two, or all three mount points.

I do like the idea of sneaking a wire to the frame to ensure a solid ground though.

Appreciate the info.

Comment

Originally posted by vph-d View Post
                  I think the 44 and later shells had a hole for a ground wire to attach, but I don't know where the other end of the wire went...
                  VPH-D
                  The shell ground screw was internal and to the bulb holder, not for an external wire.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                  X