66 flh serial number question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 flh serial number question

Im looking into buying another 66 flh. There was some question about the title.
    There was a number missing on the title that was on the cases. He has since got a corrected title that matches the case.
    Since this was brought to my attention i started questioning the serial number itself.
    The couple of 66s that i have looked at, and the one I currently own all have had four digit serial numbers. The bike im looking into has five. There is a one at the begining of the s.n., that was the number missing on the original title.
    Thoughts Don

5 digits is fine, however the first two must equal an even number so 10,12,14, etc. If the second digit is an odd number it is bogus. So no 11,13,15, in '66.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Once again thanks Robbie, I feel a little better now. Always something new to learn.

Comment

Don, 66 Shovel SNs began at 2000 and may have ended at approximately 18100. But what does the 1 look like? At least two types were used in 66 Shovel SNs.

Imagine a 66 Shovel with SN that was originally 2345. But anybody could later make it 12345 and it would still comply with the 1960–69 even-odd code.

Some other characters may also provide clues because during the 66 model year at least four more of them changed: 2, 3, 4 and 7.
        Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          5 digits is fine, however the first two must equal an even number so 10,12,14, etc. If the second digit is an odd number it is bogus. So no 11,13,15, in '66.
          Robbie why is that, and how did it come to be, and when? This type of stuff wakes me up at night.
          #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Originally posted by KNUCK View Post
            Robbie why is that, and how did it come to be, and when? This type of stuff wakes me up at night.
            I only know the 'why' part, Knuck!

Its because thieves are stupid.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Palmers book "How to restore your Harley Davidson" has all this information. On eBay first edition for $130 or third edition for around $200 shipped.
              https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...ounting-Plates

Or buy it cheaper from Bruce direct.
              Last edited by BigLakeBob; 11-24-2020, 05:18 PM.
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

The Odd-Even coding began in 1960 and ran through the decade until the entire numbering system changed in 1970. It applies only to the serial number sequence and not the belly numbers. Why H-D started it is merely speculation as there isn't any factory information regarding it that has surfaced.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Don, I tried contacting you again yesterday via email and PM. Did you receive either of them? Thanks.
                  Eric

Comment

Thanks Eric, received your pm and replied. Don

Comment

Working...
                    X