How many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many?

Guys u know anyware i look i can find a model T for sale, but why is it so hard to find a harley from the teens thru 1930? That doesnt cost 60k. Were harleys numbers 1/2 1/4 1/8th of car production. Is that why say you can purchase a model T for say 10 to 15k that only needs a few things to be ready. When a Harley or Indian or any bike of that vintage takes 10k to find just a engine , or more...Do we have a list of production numbers?

They didn’t make ANYWHERE NEAR the number of motorcycles in general as compared to auto production.
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

A lot of stuff got melted down during the scrap metal drives of WWII. A lot of the young guys who owned motorcycles never came back home.

Comment

More to the point, who hangs a model t poster on the wall and dreams? Do bikini clad young women drape themselves on model t's? What would that do for you?

It's supply and demand. The fact you even ask means you want one. . .

The other truism is that we tend to only complain about price as a buyer. The moment you own it, you generally prefer the value to rise ;-)

Comment

Too many people with money watch TV
          The Linkert Book

Comment

Considering the small pre WW2 motorcycle production, low cost automobiles, and the great depression, it's remarkable there is such a good survival rate today. On the plus side, vintage American motorcycles (Harleys in particular) are some of the best supported vehicles in the antique vehicle hobby. Brettxlch, I think it's encouraging to hear that you are interested in early motorcycles. I hope you find something, and don't give up.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

[QUOTE=...Do we have a list of production numbers?[/QUOTE]

Yes, several sources, one is the "Harley-Davidson Data Book" by Rick Conner.
              Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

A slog through the Internet shows 140 US cars built for each motorcycle 1929-1940, with both markets sourced from essentially 100% domestic production. By 1920 the cost of a Model T Ford was down to about the same as a Harley sidecar rig, and by 1925 about the cost of a solo Harley.

Comment

you need to look for better deals.
                  I have only paid over $60,000 for one of my 35 plus bikes, & a couple complete teens HD's & an 12 Excelsior were under 20k...this year.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
                    More to the point, who hangs a model t poster on the wall and dreams? Do bikini clad young women drape themselves on model t's? What would that do for you?

It's supply and demand. The fact you even ask means you want one. . .

The other truism is that we tend to only complain about price as a buyer. The moment you own it, you generally prefer the value to rise ;-)
                    Well im so glad you into my head....You know im done with this forum, guys like you with smartass comebacks do wonders to promote the hobby...Im done.

Comment

'Way to promote the AMCA to younger members, guys.
                      Last edited by exeric; 11-20-2020, 09:30 AM.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                        'Way to promote the AMCA to younger members, guys.
                        Eric... I don't know if I've ever met you personally at some AMCA meet etc, but I've been reading your posts on this (and other) forum long enough to believe you are a decent and reasonable person. And of course I agree that this hobby/club/way of life needs to attract younger members to stay strong.

But c'mon... Nothing was said that could reasonably be construed as a "smartass comeback" or cause for anyone to pick up their marbles and go home. I would hope that the role of older club members should be to mentor youth, impart knowledge and give guidance. Giving credibility to childish behavior just fosters more of it.

Clark

Last edited by droptopford; 11-20-2020, 12:01 PM.

Comment

And I deleted my earlier post/image so as not to hurt anyone's delicate feelings.

Comment

Sorry if I came off judgmental, Clark. Easy to do on forums, so I apologize to the AMCA membership for getting caught up in the moment. We're still in the midst of one of the dirtiest, ugliest political cycles I have seen in the U.S. so I think the filthy tail of politics is wagging the dog and making many people 'touchy' Also, I had, what I thought was a clogged sink to fix this morning and after 3 hours, and 2 trips to the hardware store I'm just starting to mellow out. I probably should have had a bottle of Jack Daniels in my plumber's kit
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

No sweat Eric. Here's my latest recommendation for your kit APB_385.jpg Works for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X