Rear fender 52 panhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear fender 52 panhead

Getting ready to mock up the rear fender and thought I would verify it's vintage, this bike was mostly a collection of parts I got when I bought it. As far as I can tell based on Palmers this is a 51-54 fender so that's a plus, but there are some things about it that confuse me. For some reason there was a series of three holes drilled approximately where some holes would go for mounting saddlebags but they need four holes and the spaces don't match, could have been something custom but they since have been patched, at any rate I'll be drilling four holes for saddle bags. Also I could not find where a hole ever existed for mounting the third hole of the tool box, did some bikes not have the tear drop tool box. The last thing was there is also no evidence of mounting holes for the tripes that attached near the tail light. Any help is appreciated. One last thing, when painting these fenders is it advisable to remove the pin from the hinge, if that's possible.
    Attached Files

It looks like your fender may have come off of a sidecar or package truck bike. I believe that these models didn't have the tool box mount on the frame or a mounting hole on the fender. Also, some police bikes didn't have trim on the gas tank or rear fender.
    Craig

Comment

A side car has different fender braces and I don't think a package truck bike has any fender braces. Also I wouldn't think that either of those would have holes for attaching the fender to the frame. I had thought about the possibility of a police bike but Palmers makes no distinction for the tool box, but he does say all solo models came with one. So what would a none solo bike be. I included a photo below that shows the frame mounting area and you can see the rub marks that would of been made by the frame cross member. Not a big deal about the lack of hole for tool box, mostly just curious about it and if possibly the set of three holes that once existed on the sides may of been for something actually installed by HD, maybe for some police equipment.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lrcormier View Post
        A side car has different fender braces and I don't think a package truck bike has any fender braces. Also I wouldn't think that either of those would have holes for attaching the fender to the frame. I had thought about the possibility of a police bike but Palmers makes no distinction for the tool box, but he does say all solo models came with one. So what would a none solo bike be. I included a photo below that shows the frame mounting area and you can see the rub marks that would of been made by the frame cross member. Not a big deal about the lack of hole for tool box, mostly just curious about it and if possibly the set of three holes that once existed on the sides may of been for something actually installed by HD, maybe for some police equipment.
        You missed the entire context of the comment. He said the fender could have come off a Sidecar or Package truck BIKE, not the sidecar or package truck.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie your right, I completely twisted that one around. Thanks. So if a bike was equipped with a sidecar then the bike would not have a toolbox and thus the fender would not have needed to have that hole drilled. I guess I need a dunce cap.
          Louis

Comment

Originally posted by lrcormier View Post
            Robbie your right, I completely twisted that one around. Thanks. So if a bike was equipped with a sidecar then the bike would not have a toolbox and thus the fender would not have needed to have that hole drilled. I guess I need a dunce cap.
            Louis
            No worries Louis,
            I don't know if utility models ordered from the factory with a sidecar had a toolbox or not, but the standard toolbox mounting does not interfere in any way.
            By the way, a Package truck fender looks like this, three brackets and a skirt. The fender profile is like a Servi-Car and not a sidecar fender. A sidecar fender is fixed position and the body moves independently. A package truck fender mounts to the body and goes up and down with its movement.
            Attached Files
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I have to believe all bikes came with a toolbox, and tools and it was the owner's option to remove it. I assume the toolbox fender mounting hole was hand drilled at assembly. Perhaps that fender was mounted on a Monday, or Friday at the factory Or, maybe it's a replacement fender since there are no mounting holes for the single trim strips. As for the hinge pin; if your fender sections are well aligned, don't mess with it. When I paint my fenders, I mask off the hinge and paint it after the whole fender is painted so there won't be excessive paint build-up on the hinge.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Saved this picture from CAIMAG.
                Attached Files
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

By the two sets of taillight mounting holes (beehive or tombstone) you can tell it’s a factory replacement fender. No need for the Factory to punch extra trim mounting holes the Dealers did that to match the customers’ bike.

Comment

When I built my 1941 ULH chopper 48 years ago, the one thing that I didn't have to cut off the frame was the tool box mount. It never had it. When the frame was blasted it had no grind marks where a mount would have been attached. ( This is NOT the frame that came with the bike ) It also did not have the tab for the ground wire from the battery which makes me think that it is a 1940 frame.
                    Craigimage0-019.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
                      When I built my 1941 ULH chopper 48 years ago, the one thing that I didn't have to cut off the frame was the tool box mount. It never had it. When the frame was blasted it had no grind marks where a mount would have been attached. ( This is NOT the frame that came with the bike ) It also did not have the tab for the ground wire from the battery which makes me think that it is a 1940 frame.
                      Craig[ATTACH=CONFIG]30268[/ATTACH]
                      May have been a California police unit. They had tool boxes mounted on the left side with a right hand mounted siren. I had a '39 frame like that, never a tool box mount on the right.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by BNSONS View Post
                        By the two sets of taillight mounting holes (beehive or tombstone) you can tell it’s a factory replacement fender. No need for the Factory to punch extra trim mounting holes the Dealers did that to match the customers’ bike.
                        I agree with Dave,
                        The tool box holes were never pre-drilled when the fenders were made but were drilled when the bike was assembled. Of dozens of rear fenders I have had no two toolbox mount holes are in the exact same place.

Here is a late NOS 45 fender with the same hole arrangement to fit various year models.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Rubone; 11-18-2020, 05:22 PM.
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Eric, thanks for the tip on painting the fender and leaving the hinge for last. I guess the mystery concerning the lack of hole for tool box and stripes is best explained as this fender is likely a factory replacement. The original owner could of still mounted a tool box only using the bracket and opted to not install the stripes near the taillight. Thanks for every ones input.
                          Louis

Comment

Louis, I'm currently doing all the sheet metal work on my 1951FL so I'm in the same territory as you. I actually enjoy doing body work, and all the fussiness of getting parts ready for paint, However, the biggest problem I have right now is committing to a color.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Robbie; That frame never had a tool box mount on either side. Maybe a special order ?? I still remember reading somewhere that in some years that there were no tool box mounts on factory sidecar or package truck equipped bikes. I'll have to go through some of my old literature.
                              Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X