opening oem nos packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opening oem nos packages

I'm just throwing this out there for fun and your thoughts. How do you feel when you open an old nos package that has survived for decades? Can you not wait to tear open the box, do you carefully open and preserve the original container, do you feel a connection to who might have packaged it or what the world was like during its travel down the assembly line to a cosmoline tomb? Or do you just don't care? I just opened up some very common WW2 era 45" valves, I'm sure most of you have seen many of these as they are very common, but unpacking these I thought of when they were packed, my 77 year old Dad was 1 year old. I know it's been said, he who dies with the most nos parts is still dead, so I guess we need to open and use them. Your thoughts for some fun conversation, especially on some really rare items you have opened!
    DSC06623.jpgDSC06626.jpg
    Bob Rice #6738

For years I have just used the parts, which are such a better product than most aftermarket parts. I generally open carefully and save the boxes/bags/envelopes which I usually give away. For the most part none of this stuff matters much and in the not too distant future will matter less. Use it, it is good stuff. My '47 WL only has used cases, every other bit on the engine was NOS, cylinders, crank assembly, bearings races, cams, timer, carb, etc, etc. Life is short, and the next generation doesn't really care....
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Not sure this relates, Bob!

But have a jars of cosmoline rendered from WW2 Indian hardware that is a different color than that from WLA.

Its priceless hazmat.

...Cotten
      Attached Files
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-16-2020, 06:53 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

That cosmoline is great when Parkerizing.
        DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
          That cosmoline is great when Parkerizing.
          Wow.

Suddenly its worth something.

...Cotten
          AMCA #776

Comment

I keep the packages, not sure why, but I keep them. They lasted this long why throw them out now. And I do prefer them if you can find them for your application, 45 stuff being the easiest to find. I have backup brake linings in the packages on my shelf. It is fun getting the cosmoline off as well and finding a brandy new part underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
              For years I have just used the parts, which are such a better product than most aftermarket parts. Life is short, and the next generation doesn't really care....
              Agreed.

I'll go one further, 90 percent or more of the next generation doesn't want most of our bikes, prefers to buy stuff online, and is really quite cheap. Not frugal, cheap.

They've not yet come to see themselves as custodians.

Given we're well within a century of going t$(t's up on old petrol road vehicles even being allowed out on the roads. . .i assume use the parts and enjoy the bike.

At one time your saddle was amongst the biggest investments in your life, ditto on harness. Not too many dudes lovingly caring for grandpas saddle. . .most kids don't even ride horses, let alone have a need for their own saddle.

Comment

I've had NOS Indian, and H-D parts in factory packages and it is like opening a time capsule. Both a privilege, and a thrill for every reason you mentioned, Bob. However, some parts I'll never use so they just look good in the genuine packages, and in a display case, but if someone needed them, I'd let them go.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                  I'm just throwing this out there for fun and your thoughts. How do you feel when you open an old nos package that has survived for decades? Can you not wait to tear open the box, do you carefully open and preserve the original container, do you feel a connection to who might have packaged it or what the world was like during its travel down the assembly line to a cosmoline tomb? Or do you just don't care? I just opened up some very common WW2 era 45" valves, I'm sure most of you have seen many of these as they are very common, but unpacking these I thought of when they were packed, my 77 year old Dad was 1 year old. I know it's been said, he who dies with the most nos parts is still dead, so I guess we need to open and use them. Your thoughts for some fun conversation, especially on some really rare items you have opened!
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]30245[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30246[/ATTACH]
                  A very interesting question. I do give some thought to it and regret opening the package because of its significance and the fact that it is one more item that will no longer be new old stock. It gives me pause. BUT - it's a piece I need to achieve the goal of achieving a repair or replacing a missing part for a projects so I feel good that it will go into getting another vintage bike up, running and in good safe condition. On another hand there are some of those NOS parts, like decals and others parts that degrade if not used. Heck decals or stickers because of the protective paper coating and backing that you can't even tell what it is except by the shape. I had some tank decals that were NOS that I wondered if I would get the paper off without damaging the image.

Mike Love

Comment

A couple of my favorite "time capsules", Folks,..

Were WLA pistons packed in candy wrappers,

And a 'Marvel' floatvalve for 1940 potmetal Scheblers wrapped in newspaper ads seeking 'colored cleaning ladies'.

(I was raised by 'colored cleaning ladies'.)

....Cotten
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-17-2020, 10:43 AM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

One problem can be the usage of NOS gaskets. Shrinkage, compromised condition, hardening. If you want a sure fire leak use them if not get new, fresh, pliable ones. How would I know this?
                      DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                        One problem can be the usage of NOS gaskets. Shrinkage, compromised condition, hardening. If you want a sure fire leak use them if not get new, fresh, pliable ones. How would I know this?
                        So,.. Best to not open the packages, Rich?

....Cotten
                        PS: Scan courtesy of T. Fickau, I think.
                        PPS: How do you spell 'carburetor'?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-17-2020, 03:04 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                        X