No announcement yet.

Couple questions for a new '46 Chief owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Lyle, I'll keep that in mind about the LED type.
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Here you go.

https://www.ledlight.com/6-volt-nega...ed-lights.aspx

Comment

I’m going to chime in on question 2. I would look in the rear drive first, as it is really common that the two tabs on the drive washer breaks off and renders the speedo useless.

Comment

Howdy sir,

Valid point but he does mention it’s clicking at the head unit. The speedo on my much loved 346 dragged out of multi decade storage in 91 with 18k miles was also making ominous noises and only registering mileage not speed. Hesitant to send off this irreplaceable piece, with a few Hail Mary’s took it apart and with a thorough clean lube and one small adjustment it has worked perfectly since. As mentioned, daunting amount of parts but far better quality than the SW on my 348.
          Cheerio,
          Peter
          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Cooke View Post
            Thanks for that Link Peter!!

Originally posted by Oilcan View Post
            I’m going to chime in on question 2. I would look in the rear drive first, as it is really common that the two tabs on the drive washer breaks off and renders the speedo useless.
            I had heard that they do break, but the cable was turning and the "miles" were adding up, but the speedometer MPH needle wasn't moving at all.

Originally posted by PRG View Post
            Howdy sir,
            Valid point but he does mention it’s clicking at the head unit. The speedo on my much loved 346 dragged out of multi decade storage in 91 with 18k miles was also making ominous noises and only registering mileage not speed. Hesitant to send off this irreplaceable piece, with a few Hail Mary’s took it apart and with a thorough clean lube and one small adjustment it has worked perfectly since. As mentioned, daunting amount of parts but far better quality than the SW on my 348.
            Yes, I was also "leary" of sending it off, but I decided that I would go ahead and send it to Terry Marsh.
            Last edited by Jim; 11-22-2020, 12:33 PM.
            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Yes, I was also "leary" of sending it off, but I decided that I would go ahead and send it to Terry Marsh.[/QUOTE]

Terry does a great job, and stands behind his work. He rebuilt by speedo and ignition switch.

Comment

Originally posted by TH47Indy View Post
                Originally posted by Jim View Post
                Yes, I was also "leary" of sending it off, but I decided that I would go ahead and send it to Terry Marsh.
                Terry does a great job, and stands behind his work. He rebuilt by speedo and ignition switch.
                Thanks for the message of confidence for him. He was recommended to me by a few people. I talked to him and we had a great conversation.
                Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
                X