Finish on front chain guard - 1957 FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish on front chain guard - 1957 FLH

Is the front chain guard (primary cover) on a 1957 FLH finished in gloss black or something between full gloss and flat? After looking for some time for a "good" black OEM cover with no success I got one from V-Twin. The finish on it is a durable (maybe power coated) black that's somewhere between full flat and full gloss (like a 50% gloss). I was expecting a gloss finish. The bike isn't being built for AMCA judging but I'd like to have the finish on the primary cover close to correct.

Steve Slaminko

I thought everything from V-Twin was 100% correct and fits perfectly too

Comment

OP bikes I've seen look like gloss black to me. Inner and outer primary same black as oil tank, tool box, brake drums etc.

Comment

I agree with droptopford. I have owned N.O.S. late model Panhead inner primarys that were gloss black when pulled out of the wrapper.

Craig

Comment

This morning I was at my friend's shop and hanging on the wall was an outer primary cover for a 1957 model that was NOS and it was gloss black.
          DrSprocket

Comment

I have an NOS one hanging here as well. ALL H-D black painted parts were originally gloss black, they never used anything else, even on exhausts.
            Last edited by Rubone; 11-13-2020, 04:13 PM.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks all,

I'll refinish in gloss black.

Steve

Comment

A friend got a primary cover from V-Twin a couple of years ago that was kind of semi- gloss too. Too much trouble to return it...
                VPH-D

Comment

Thanks again for all the responses. I'm well aware of many parts from V-Twin being less than what we "hope" for but other than the finish, I'm satisfied with the primary cover I received. I get upset with V-Twin products from time to time but in retrospect I'm glad to have them around.

Comment

Working...
                  X