Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead Inner Primary Cover

Good Day,
    I purchased an aftermarket inner primary for my '53 FLE but, as suspected things don't line up correctly. Before I commit to the necessary bending, welding, and grinding I thought to reach out to see if anyone has an inner primary cover for a foot-shift machine for sale or trade. This is the cover without the rear chain splash shield, 60620-52. I'm only interested in covers that are in very good to excelent condition. However, if anyone has an old beat up OEM inner cover that I might use for measurement and alignment for modifying my aftermarket cover, I may be interested in that as as an alternative.

Please respond in this forum or directly to my email address: WPedalino@CaldwellMarine.com.

Thanks,
    Bill Pedalino
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Boy - over 100 views and not one response. These things certainly have become scarce!

I have a new Vtwin replica inner primary that I'm wrestling with now and although it looks very nice, it's mis-manufactured. The Vtwin cover is probably ok for a chopper or non-judged machine where obvious changes can be made, but for an accurate restoration this will probably be a task, if even possible depending upon the extent and locations of the inaccurate bends.
    And.... I'm not the best sheet metal guy! Without an original to match it up to, it will be quite difficult to see where the adjustments have to be made.

I notice that Paughco also sells a replacement cover. Maybe they're NOT from the same Manufacturer/importer and maybe of better quality. Has anyone had experience with the Paughco inner cover?

Finally, if anyone has a good OEM cover that I might BORROW, I would be very appreciative.
    Last edited by billpedalino; 11-22-2020, 06:03 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill,
      Ebay is the best source for covers.
      Nice covers are expensive, beat up covers are cheaper and more common, you can repair a beat up cover or use it to fix yours.
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Inner...YAAOSwlARfry8r

Comment

Paugcho started their business with the manufacturing of inner primary covers in Hollywood in the late 60's. Good stuff Maynard!
        DrSprocket

Comment

Just put a new Paugcho inner on my 50 Pan project and it fit up perfectly on the 1st try. My original old outer went on with minimal fuss too. IMG_20201122_131844_298.jpgIMG_20200830_162707_287.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hack View Post
            Just put a new Paugcho inner on my 50 Pan project and it fit up perfectly on the 1st try. My original old outer went on with minimal fuss too. [ATTACH=CONFIG]30286[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30287[/ATTACH]
            Hack,
            The outer cover screw pattern isn't a problem - it looks like the press-in distances may be off, as the riveted tabs dont appear to line up with the oil tank and frame tabs and the clutch hub clearance looks quite close.. The Paughco looks promising - Is your frame an original OEM?
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill,
              I've used Paughco stuff since the 60's and always had good results with fitment. My frame is a very nice untouched 1948 frame I'd been sitting on since the early 80's. To be honest I was pleasantly shocked when I put it on and everything lined up and fit perfectly the first time, including the big hole around the sprocket, ratchet lid and clutch hub clearance plus the two bolts and springs and washers went right on. OEM oil tank and chain guard.
              Best regards, John

Comment

John,

We used to sell Paughco at the shop where I worked in the 1960's as well and its great that his stuff is still of good quality. It appears that the cover/chain guard/Oil tank tab/lower frame tab and ratchet top screw clearance are all misaligned to with my current cover. But to be fair, this frame has had a lot of restorative work. The frame work is of the highest quality, but a LOT.... So I would like to have an accurate cover to asses exactly what's going on.

That's why I was looking for an OEM cover - even in so-so condition just to check positions and alignment. But I couldn't believe the absolute garbage that people are selling on EBay and the stupid numbers that they're asking for what's literally scrapyard junk!

It's great to know that the Paughco cover lined up so on your OEM frame. I ordered one and am anxious to see how it lines up on my '53 frame. However, I couldn't tell from the advertisement photos if comes with the drain tube fitting installed. I'm fairly certain that his early covers didn't have them but we were chopper kids and couldn't have cared less back then! I might have to weld one in, but that's a small price to pay for a good cover..

Thanks for your feedback....
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

There is no fitting on the back side, just a smaller hole for the drip. Should be a snap to install a fitting.

Comment

Working...
                  X