1946 WL Coil Voltage Question, bike won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 WL Coil Voltage Question, bike won't start

Hello, when I was riding my WL last it lost engine power almost like it was running out of gas and died. This happened within about 20 feet at a slow speed. When I measure the voltage at the battery I read 6.1V. With the ignition switch on , I measure 5.6V at the coil. I pulled the spark plugs and visually see they are firing when I ground the plug to the cylinder (5.6V at the coil).

What voltage should I see at the coil ? Should it be the same as the battery voltage ? Even though I see 5.6 V at the coil, and the plugs are firing , could this 5.6V be the issue ? Can I use a jumper to go directly from the battery to the coil without damaging the ignition switch or wire harness ? The bike won't start. Thanks !

6.1 volts battery terminal voltage sounds a bit low but should be sufficient. 5.6 volts at the coil also sounds low, that is a 1/2 volt loss on a 6 volt system. I believe that is a problem that should be addressed but not your bike won't run problem especially since you say you have spark at the plugs. I think you have some high resistance problems due to poor, dirty connections and possibly a dirty contact on your ignition switch. Check all of these to avoid future problems. A jumper is never a good idea. How do you kill the ignition in a hurry unless you use alligator clips.
    You started with a statement that indicated it felt like it was running out of gas. I think I would look there first. Dirty fuel filter? Stuck float? Fuel valve not working correctly? You did try reserve? Pinched clogged fuel line? Eliminate all of these before you blame the ignition. They will mimic each other.

Comment

Working...
    X