Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1937 speedo questions

Howdy,
    I just picked up a 1937 speedo and have some questions that maybe someone can help with. Does 37 have flat or domed glass?I have the option of using either. Mine is equipped with the trap door for a speed lock. I also have what looks to be the speed lock. It has two wires and two mounting tabs. It also has what looks to be a very small black button that can be depressed. Anyone familiar with these setups? From what I gather they were for police use to clock speeders. Some info or pics would be great
    At some time an owner made a simple cover to go where the speed lock entered the speedo out of sheet metal. I'd like to find the original trap door cover. Any info appreciated!
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile....
    -good ol GD

Matt First off I wonder if in fact your speedo is in fact a 37. To the best of my knowledge 36 and 37 did not have the trapdoor. Lens should be flat. Domed glass started with the diamond needle in 1941. I have made the trapdoor out of a junk Ford Stewart Warner speedo can. Pictures sure do help.

Jerry

Originally posted by montuckymatt View Post
    Howdy,
    I just picked up a 1937 speedo and have some questions that maybe someone can help with. Does 37 have flat or domed glass?I have the option of using either. Mine is equipped with the trap door for a speed lock. I also have what looks to be the speed lock. It has two wires and two mounting tabs. It also has what looks to be a very small black button that can be depressed. Anyone familiar with these setups? From what I gather they were for police use to clock speeders. Some info or pics would be great
    At some time an owner made a simple cover to go where the speed lock entered the speedo out of sheet metal. I'd like to find the original trap door cover. Any info appreciated!

Comment

20201101_142116.jpg20201101_142148.jpg20201101_142125.jpg20201101_142148.jpg
      Heres some pics
      Attached Files
      -good ol GD

Comment

Ok Matt That is a 1937 speedo can. The face is a reproduction however and the speedometer lock that you have is 1938 and up and fits the big door speedo used from 1938 to 1962. To find the correct speedometer lock is going to be hard and expensive as they are few and far between.

Jerry

Originally posted by montuckymatt View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]30150[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30151[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30152[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30151[/ATTACH]
        Heres some pics

Comment

Matt Here is a real 1937 speedo face. Check out the odometer and trip windows.

Jerry
          Attached Files

Comment

I would never have known about the suttle differences. I appreciate the help in figuring out exactly what I have.
            -good ol GD

Comment

Original '37 speedometer faces were made of brass then acid etched silver plate. They were not painted. Ken Presson was reproducing them but sadly he has passed.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

So anyone know where a guy might be able to find an oem face?
                -good ol GD

Comment

Did all 37 speedos have a trip meter? I thought that some did not.

DD

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post
                    Did all 37 speedos have a trip meter? I thought that some did not.

DD
                    They were available with or without a trip meter.

Comment

Working...
                    X