18” Rim Inner Tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18” Rim Inner Tubes

I am looking to source proper inner tubes for 4.50X18 Firestone ANS tires to run on 18” Kelsey Hayes rims for my 1939 Harley EL project. The issue I see is the larger size of the valve stem hole of the rim (11mm+) verses the smaller diameter of modern metal inner tube valves (8mm +/-). I am concerned about the smaller modern metal valve stem being too small for the size of the hole in the rim. Is there a recommended tube with he proper larger valve size for this situation? Or perhaps a work-around using the modern tubes with the smaller diameter valves? I saw reference in a 2009 AMCA Forum thread.about “cheaters” that fit over the smaller modern valve stem, is anyone still making these or have them available, and would those address the issue? Guidance would be most appreciated. Thanks. Bob

There are dummy Schrader valve stems that screw over the metal valve stems. I believe you can get them from www.olddude.com
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I got the proper tubes for my 18" and 19' ANS tires from Coker. They're on my 49 WL and 40 EL both bob jobs.
      DrSprocket

Comment

The tubes from Coker come with a little rubber spacer/donut to fill the gap

Comment

My bad, I got them from Cycle Gear that has several cycle gear shops out here in NorCal. Tubes, tires, riding gear, etc. No spacers needed. I have gotten some before from Coker that I didn't need spacers for. Search on line should turn them up under google or whatever. They're out there.
          DrSprocket

Comment

I have an org tire and tube, they were on ebay a long time, maybe I will repost

Comment

An update - I found the cheaters / covers, Replicant Metals has them. Thanks to all for the responses. Bob

Comment

Working...
              X