Linkert card throttle binding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert card throttle binding?

I have professionally rebuilt linkert card for my '47 Cheif that has only been run on the engine stand after a complete rebuild and I was installing the throttle and advance cables.

After installing and adjusting the new cables, the throttle cable started to feel like it was binding, and was difficult to turn.
    Thought it was something with the cable, but when I detached it from the carb I realized it was the carb that was causing the issue.

Removed the carb, and opening and closing by hand is now very difficult and seems to be getting worse.

There was no issue before this when it was off the engine, or after I installed it, it opened and closed perfectly.

I can't see anything externally that would be causing the issue.

What am I missing, or what could have caused the issue in the first place?

Thanks.

Originally posted by TH47Indy View Post
    I have professionally rebuilt linkert card for my '47 Cheif that has only been run on the engine stand after a complete rebuild and I was installing the throttle and advance cables.

After installing and adjusting the new cables, the throttle cable started to feel like it was binding, and was difficult to turn.
    Thought it was something with the cable, but when I detached it from the carb I realized it was the carb that was causing the issue.

Removed the carb, and opening and closing by hand is now very difficult and seems to be getting worse.

There was no issue before this when it was off the engine, or after I installed it, it opened and closed perfectly.

I can't see anything externally that would be causing the issue.

What am I missing, or what could have caused the issue in the first place?

Thanks.
    It is unusual for Indian and other 3-bolt manifolds, TH47Indy,...

But occasionally, binding is an issue for severely-overtorqued 4-bolt models.

(10 ft-lbs for 5/16" fasteners should do if both carb and manifold flanges are dressed 'flat', with 13 ft-lbs maximum before the flanges will deform.)

It would be best for your 'pro rebuilder' to take it all apart and inspect closely for abrasives or whatever...

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-31-2020, 02:15 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Possible that the screws holding the throttle disc are loose and the disc has moved and is binding up. I guess take the carb off and take a look there, and also at the throttle linkage on top to see if that has moved on the shaft.
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Most likely would be the top manifold screw is to long.loosen the screw and see if it gets better.
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
          Most likely would be the top manifold screw is to long.loosen the screw and see if it gets better.
          Tom
          Good call, Tom!

Colony screws are slightly longer than Greer's.

It leaves a mark.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
            Tom
            Good idea, but I had the carb off and still the same issue, also checked the throttle disk screws and everything looks OK. Puzzeling because it was fine before off and on, and the issue started when I was connecting and adjusting the cable.

Carbs on the bench and took off the bellcrank but nothig seems out of place. It progressivly gets worse, so assuming maybe something in the bushing.

Thanks for all the quick responses, moving on to other tasks on the build and I'll run the carb by the builder next week.

Comment

TH47Indy!

If the bushing has been crushed as Tom suggests, they often do not spring back.

Please let your rebuilder assess it, as "progressivly gets worse" sounds like foreign objects.

Glass beads are far too common, even though nobody ever knows where they came from. . ..

....Cotten
              Attached Files
              AMCA #776

Comment

I'm thinking your right about a foreign object, since it worked fine even when on the manaifold so I don't think the bushing was crushed.
                I'll let you know what caused the issue as soon as it solved.

Thanks again to all for the help!

Comment

Tom got it!
                  Looks like there was some galling or debris in the throttle shaft/bushing. A quick fix.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X