Cylinder interchange info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder interchange info

Thanks in advance for the info. Can someone please educate me on cylinder and head interchange on a 45"

So I have a 1937 WL that I'm rebuilding, it has the stud in the barrel and iron heads. Both barrels have at least 1 stud that will need a helicoil, also the cylinder walls are worn and the valve guides are pretty loose. So it got me looking at the complete upper end kits that are available but most list for 1940 on up. The kits seem more economical than trying to rebuild the barrels I have. So....are these kits complete with valves and pistons a good value?
    Will these kits work on my 37 cases? Will my cast heads bolt up? Any advice or education on what works with what is greatly appreciated!!

36 to 52 WL cylinders are the same.
    36 to 52 WL heads are the same.

I've been over-ruled.
    Last edited by kitabel; 10-23-2020, 03:45 PM.
    The Linkert Book

Comment

36 to 52 WL cylinders are the same.
      36 to 52 WL heads are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
        The use either 3/8"-16NC head bolt threads for stud & nuts, or 7/16"-16 threads for bolts.
        Ok that makes total sense, so mine are 3/8 with the studs. Can the studs be removed, the holes, drilled and tapped to accept the 7/16 bolt that the newer ones use? Or is the casting different to not allow a bigger fastener?

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
          What is a "complete kit", where is it made?
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Harley-...gAAOSwrklU~Gsk

This is what I was referring to, I have no idea where it was made. Just curious if anyone has experience with something similar.

Comment

All the early ones are 3/8 stud. From '40 up the 7/16 bolts were used on solo models and the 3/8 studs continued with Servi-Cars (which never had the alloy head option) until '51. Any combination can be made to work and yes you can tap the early ones for later bolts as all the bolt locations are standard throughout. There are a few oddball cylinders you might run into (such as WLD WLDR, WR) as well as various heads in different compression ratios. Late iron heads are 14MM plug size where all earlier types are 18mm. So just make sure if you purchase individual bits that they are compatible with the others you have.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt1967 View Post
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Harley-...gAAOSwrklU~Gsk

This is what I was referring to, I have no idea where it was made. Just curious if anyone has experience with something similar.
              Lots of that aftermarket stuff is from India and is hit or miss on quality.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
              X