Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the bore x stroke of a 1914 H-D 10F?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the bore x stroke of a 1914 H-D 10F?

Does anyone know the actual bore and stroke of a 1914 model 10F? We're doing the final round of fact-checking prior to creating the labels for the Brisbane motorcycle exhibition https://practicalmotoring.com.au/mot...and-guilfoyle/, comparing the information provided by lenders with that we had determined ourselves. In most cases where there are discrepancies, it's a matter of differences in rounding (e.g. a lender listing 500 cc vs. an actual 499 cc). However, things get "interesting" with the Harley-Davidsons.

I have 10 ft of Harley-Davidson books in my library. Unfortunately, as I already knew, all but a few of the authors of those books were simply lazy, for whom the term "fact checking" clearly means copying from whatever is closest at hand. or just making it up. Assuming, for the moment, that the books that only list the engine size for a 1914 bike (which most don't even bother doing) are correct, it's either 60.33 cu.in. or 60.34 cu.in. With this in mind:

Two books list the bore and stroke of that engine as 3-5/8" x 3-1/2". That's 72.24 cu.in.

Another book lists the engine as having 3" x 3-1/2" and 61 cu.in. An engine of that bore x stroke would have 49.5 cu.in.

Another book has 3-1/2" x 3-5/16" and 60.34 cu.in. That's 63.74 cu.in.

Another book has 3.43" x 3.50" and 60.33 cu.in. which is 64.68 cu.in.

Since most Harley books contain no useful information at all, it requires looking through a half-dozen books to find one that lists something seemingly-useful, then calculating the engine capacity and finding the data given in that book is wrong. Sigh...

Anyway, I would really appreciate knowing the actual bore and stroke of that engine. Thanks!

BoschZEV
    We're probably in trouble when I have to answer this question but you've got me curious.
    I have a reprint of the "Instructions on Setting Up, Starting, Operation and Care of Harley-Davidson Motorcycles"
    Page 17 states " Some states require the rider give the bore and stroke measurements" then lists them as 3 5/16" bore and 3 1/2" stroke for Twins. 3 5/16" bore and 4" stroke for singles. PM me a email address and I can send you a picture if needed.

Comment

Working...
    X