Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 servicar rear hub removal

Greetings
    So, I'm trying to remove the rear wheel on my 36 servi, only to find that you need a special puller to remove the rear wheel. I dont have one and no one seems to make them. Colonys discription on the hub puller is incorect and only works on 37 and later (im not sure how much later) Anyone have any ideas who may make one or have one they would part with or lend out? I have the hub caps and thought I might have a local machine shop make me a puller, They looked at me and asked " you want what"? If I knew the size and thread pitch, I don't, It would be outside my skill level to machine that fine of a thread pitch. Any help wold be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Max

I believe I have an early one. I'll look later to make sure.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Max;

Some years ago I had the pleasure of a 1970 HD Servi-car.
        Needed to pull the drums and after too much struggle purchased off Amazon:

OTC (7394) Universal Hub Puller

Bought largely based on this review:

"I was trying to pull a brake drum off a Harley-Davidson Servi-Car, which has a tapered axle,
        and the brake drum is torqued down on it. Things been on this machine for 51 years.
        Work on this for DAYS, made my own tool (which stripped out) and this tool, with a touch of
        Bernz-O-Matic heat, did the job in 3 minutes! This tool is tough as heck, and is worth the money.
        Hands down. Wish more tools were made this tough!"

Purchased puller; performed GREAT!
        Sadly bike/trike is gone.
        But I kept that puller.

Link to item:

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7394-Univ...2869478&sr=8-2

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
          Max;

Some years ago I had the pleasure of a 1970 HD Servi-car.
          Needed to pull the drums and after too much struggle purchased off Amazon:

OTC (7394) Universal Hub Puller

Bought largely based on this review:

"I was trying to pull a brake drum off a Harley-Davidson Servi-Car, which has a tapered axle,
          and the brake drum is torqued down on it. Things been on this machine for 51 years.
          Work on this for DAYS, made my own tool (which stripped out) and this tool, with a touch of
          Bernz-O-Matic heat, did the job in 3 minutes! This tool is tough as heck, and is worth the money.
          Hands down. Wish more tools were made this tough!"

Purchased puller; performed GREAT!
          Sadly bike/trike is gone.
          But I kept that puller.

Link to item:

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7394-Univ...2869478&sr=8-2

Good Luck.
          Totally different type hubs and drums on his '36.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I have these two, I believe the larger diameter one is the one you need. What is the approximate OD of the threads?
            Attached Files
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Greetings
              Thanks for the input. I don't belive that a gear puller will work on this style of hub. I've included a picture, to show that with the spokes installed there's no way to mount a puller. I have considered removing the tire while the wheel is mounted, remove the spokes and then try using a gear puller. However the hubs for these early years are kinda flimsy looking and very hard to find , I mean very hard to find in good condition. 1937 they added a different rear brake that changed a lot of peices parts in the rear end. The threaded section is around 2 1/4 inch. I think I'll just hang on until I find the right tool.
              Thanks
              Max[ATTACH]30017[/ATTACH]20201016_132447.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                I have these two, I believe the larger diameter one is the one you need. What is the approximate OD of the threads?
                Holy crap, that's a lot of tools. The puller should be around 2 1/4 inches.
                MaX

Comment

Originally posted by maxglass View Post
                  Holy crap, that's a lot of tools. The puller should be around 2 1/4 inches.
                  MaX
                  It looks like this is it. It measures about 2-3/16 inside. It has a back bevel to clear the spokes when installed and is about 1" deep . It is also brand new so the threads are perfect. PM me.

More of the tools and a closeup of the puller... the smaller is for '37-'50.
                  Attached Files
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie, message sent.
                    Max

Comment

That looks like an Chrysler products rear drum puller. Stan

Comment

Greetings once again
                        This story had a happy ending. I received a generous offer from one of the contribuitors on here (Robbie, couh, cough) to borrow his hub puller, to remove the wheel. It was no where as difficult as I had feared. I soaked it down with PB blaster for a few days before the puller arrived, wire brushed the threads with a brass brush, and generally cleand the hub for the puller.
                        the pictures show an overview of the wheel, a closeup of the threaded area, the puller on the wheel and a view of the puller attatched to the wheel, not necessarly in that order.

20201024_213948.jpg20201024_213955.jpg20201024_215403.jpg20201024_215546.jpg20201016_132447.jpg

The axle has a key running the full legnth of the hub. I was told to make sure the puller is screwed in all of way, otherwise, you could damage the threads or the puller. I was also told that I may have to wack the end of the puller to breake the hub loose, fortunately that was not the case. The bike came with screw on hubcaps, which seemed strange on a utility vehicle. However my guess is that they served to protect the fine thread on the hub from damage rather than a beauty cover.
                        Im not sure why they didnt just drill and tap two holes in the hub to use as a puller, as the hub is made out of solid steel.

With the overall scaricty of these pullers, it makes me wonder how people changed a flat tire. These bikes are relatively obscure, so im not sure that anyone is going to rush out to make pullers. hopefully someone will.
                        Max

Comment

Happy to help and glad it all worked out for you.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you for this string and information. I just had cause to remove the left rear wheel on a Servi-car I am building and found out I could not. Asked and this popped up. I have a puller on order. I found this at 45 Restoration and ordered one. Part number is 95730-38 for use with 32-50 Servi-car, according to 45 Restoration.
                            Knowledge is power and lets us do our work!

Comment

Unfortunately that puller is for the later 38 to 50 rear wheels. They made a change to the hub in 37/38 and the thread is smaller. They were miss marked for a year or so until they realize their mistake. I have a rear hub that is scrap (the flange is completely rusted through), If anyone would like to try and make one. I also made a detailed drawing of the one that I borrowed to remove my wheels.
                              Max

Comment

Working...
                              X