Harley VL Oil Pump/Cotrol Cable Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley VL Oil Pump/Cotrol Cable Adjustment

Another question on my recently running 1931 VL. According to Riders Handbook and replies on this website I have attached control cable to control arm on oil pump so oil pump is fully open with handlebar grip at full throttle. Then I attach (m88) carb lever to control cable. The "throw" on carb lever is less then "throw" on oil pump lever (almost 50% less). Now with both the carb throttle lever and oil pump lever attached to the control cable, when I twist handlebar grip to full throttle, the oil pump only opens to slightly over 1/2 way open due to shorter "throw " of carb throttle lever. In other word when carb is at full throttle, the oil pump is only slightly over half way open. Is this normal/correct. I know I am using incorrect carb (m88), but the "throw" on correct linkert carb throttle lever should be the same. Thanks!

Dear Buster, check the throttle splitter under the tank, where the carburetor control rod and oiler control wire join with a travelling block. If you shift that block you should find a sweet spot where the throttle lever is fully open just as the oil pump is also wide open.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I will try it again.

Comment

I think I possibly have wrong throttle lever which would create wrong ratio at carb. Is the straight (not S shaped) 1238-24 throttle lever correct for the 1931 model? Thanks!

Comment

Yup, that's the flat one you need. The early VL carbs sit higher so you need that throttle lever to fit under the head steady bolt nut.

Comment

Working...
          X