Oil Pump check valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lrcormier View Post
    I know it might look ugly, but could installing a small shut off valve in the oil supply line work? The danger would be if you forgot to turn it on prior to starting your bike, but has anyone tried this?
    Yes it will work, I run this on my WR so part of my morning start up is turn on the gas and oil valve for the day. Then at night when done riding gas and oil are turned off. It sits for weeks or months and no issue.
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Tom when I clicked onto the live link that you put up I also got the 403 error message . But if you go to the bottom of that page you can click on the homepage and it will take you there and then search oil valve shutoff. Thanks for putting it up.
      Jim D

Comment

Originally posted by KNUCK View Post
        Yes it will work, I run this on my WR so part of my morning start up is turn on the gas and oil valve for the day. Then at night when done riding gas and oil are turned off. It sits for weeks or months and no issue.
        Thanks for your reply KNUCK. I'm still in the process of building (I say building because I got it in pieces) and hope to have it running by next spring. I suppose I could be one of the few lucky ones that their bike doesn't sump but not counting on it. If it sumps then a ball valve will be my solution and have found many possible candidates but not sure what size I'll need. Do you know what size you have or what size hose you used. My build is a 52 PAN and will be mostly stock.

Comment

Thank you all for the discussion, decided to start the Motor every month during the time of no riding Season... George

Comment

Originally posted by Schorsch View Post
            Thank you all for the discussion, decided to start the Motor every month during the time of no riding Season... George
            Please beware, George,..

Motors are designed to operate under load; Please don't start it unless you're gonna ride it.

Whether idling, or worse yet, "rapped" as if to warm it up, wear is much worse upon the assembly than 'full-tilt' high-speed highway cruising.

If you set the jug o' oil on the footboard, you won't forget it.

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-17-2020, 02:23 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Hi T.Cotten,
              on the other hand, to start the motor with the crankcase full of oil, is a really bad action, it could destroy the motor!
              Normally you have to drain the crankcase prior to start the motor. But that drain plug is so bad placed between the
              frame and the crankcase...
              George

Comment

Hi T.Cotten,
                on the other hand, to start the motor with the crankcase full of oil, is a really bad action, it could destroy the motor!
                Normally you have to drain the crankcase prior to start the motor. But that drain plug is so bad placed between the
                frame and the crankcase...
                George
                If you drain the tank into a jug, George,..

There won't be enough oil to fill the cases.

....Cotten
                PS: The only way cases can fill to a dangerous level is when a positive seal has been installed upon the sprocket shaft, usually to accomodate a belt.
                Otherwise, the oil can fill no higher than the sprocket shaft, as the 'slinger' is an escape to the primary.
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-18-2020, 12:23 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Hi T.Cotten,
                  yes, I agree , an empty oil tank during the "no riding season" should be the easier solution,
                  because an oil level into the crankcase up to the sprocket shaft level is too much and dangerous
                  to start the motor…
                  George

Comment

...because an oil level into the crankcase up to the sprocket shaft level is too much and dangerous
                    to start the motor…
                    George
                    No it ain't, George!

Sure it can be messy, or foul plugs,

But horror stories of the rear jug lifted off the deck usually included extraneous factors, like somebody's 'better idea' seal, etc.,..

...and don't forget a loose nut on the handlebars.

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-18-2020, 03:07 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                    X