Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938 clutch repair

Greetings
    Ive been having problems with the clutch for my 1938 EL. It's the early style clutch and one of the studs on it is stripped. I read through Palmers book on how to repair it and the repair seems fairly straightforward. Cut down a legnth of the appropriate size steel rod, thread one end and cut the other end to fit, about 1/4 inch or so longer and peen it over. I removed the old stud from the clutch hub and found that the end in the hub was threaded, and that the stud basically unthreaded from the hub with the threads intact. I've never screwed with this style clutch before, so am I better off just drilling the threads out or thread the end of the stud, screw it in and peen it over? I have included a couple of photos.
    Thanks in advance
    Max20201008_151829.jpg20201008_151849.jpg

Max

If it were mine I would leave the threads and make the new stud with the correct threads and then peen it over.

Jerry

Originally posted by maxglass View Post
    Greetings
    Ive been having problems with the clutch for my 1938 EL. It's the early style clutch and one of the studs on it is stripped. I read through Palmers book on how to repair it and the repair seems fairly straightforward. Cut down a legnth of the appropriate size steel rod, thread one end and cut the other end to fit, about 1/4 inch or so longer and peen it over. I removed the old stud from the clutch hub and found that the end in the hub was threaded, and that the stud basically unthreaded from the hub with the threads intact. I've never screwed with this style clutch before, so am I better off just drilling the threads out or thread the end of the stud, screw it in and peen it over? I have included a couple of photos.
    Thanks in advance
    Max[ATTACH=CONFIG]29971[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29972[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
    X