Chief Crank Kickstarter Repair Methode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Crank Kickstarter Repair Methode

Ok, I had an artical on how to heat up the kickstarter so it won't rub on the exhaust as it rotates around. Does anyone have a copy of said artical or know how this is done? As shown in the picture.
    Attached Files

The reproduction exhaust system is the problem not the kicker,unless the bore or shaft is worn excessively letting the lever wobble on the shaft.
    You may be able to siot the tab hole a little to get the pipe to sit lower.
    I wouldnt try to bend a nice chrome lever.
    Starklite makes a nice exhaust that is still tight in this area but can tweeked to clear.I think his repro levers aslo have little more clearance in this area but I have never tried one.
    Never saw the how to article would be interested to read it.
    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
      The reproduction exhaust system is the problem.
      You may be able to siot the tab hole a little to get the pipe to sit lower.
      Agree! (...and when you start looking at other Chiefs you'll see several where this happens)
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I heated mine to bend more offset into the kick lever. First I made a slug to fit the kicker shaft hole with a shoulder on it so that it would not slip through the hole. I then drilled a 1/8 inch blind hole about 1 inch deep into the slug. I then made two location pointer rods from 1/8 welding rods.
        The rod end is put into the blind hole and about a I/2 out make a 90 degree bend. Then locate where the kicker is rubbing and make a second 90 degree bend in your rod at the measurement from the center of the slug to the rubbing contact area. Cut the rod off so that it is just making contact with the arm. Then do the same thing with the second rod to locate the top of the kicker arm. Now using the rods for a reference you can heat the arm above the mounting hole to gain the needed clearance. Then heat the arm higher up to return the top to the proper position using your upper rod as a reference point.
        Last edited by jim d; 10-05-2020, 07:10 PM.
        Jim D

Comment

O.M.G. Jim, that would actually work. I'm not crazy about having to strip and paint the kicker but hey, it will outlast me regardless. Let’s see if we can get some more ideas.

Comment

Yes slotting hole may help. Try a piece of wood cut to fit pipe and drive towards frame mey help. Kiwi's offset kicker shaft may help , but usually you have to heat and bend kicker. Also check gear alignment at this time.

Comment

Yes. What a pain. I was thinking of grinding the undr side of the kicker as the chrome is already worn off at that point.

Comment

Working...
              X