Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Tank emblem

A couple of questions:

1. Were the tank emblems originally painted from the factory? And if so, were they always the color of the tank?

2. I read a couple of posts about spraying the entire emblem, then waiting a week and removing the paint on the raised areas using acetone, but doesn't sound like to would work for the '47 script emblems.

I also read about a technique using a syring to flow the paint between the letters.

Any trick or suggestions, or has anyone tried these technoquies with good results?

Thanks.

I believe for 47 the scripts backgrounds were only Indian red regardless of tank color.
    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
      I believe for 47 the scripts backgrounds were only Indian red regardless of tank color.
      Tom
      Thanks Tom.
      My tanks are black, and I do plan on painting them Indian red.I've seen so many variations I wasn't sure what was original.

If I don't receive any tips on paint techniques I think I'm going to try using the syringe technique.

Comment

Terry, Hatfield's book says that the emblem for 1946 (and earlier) had translucent red in the background, but I don't see him mentioning the '47+ emblems that way. For my '46 emblems I colored in the background of the emblems with a red sharpie, it's translucent and wears fairly well needing more sharpie only every other year or so.
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I have repainted a number of different badges by spray painting or hand painting with a artist brush and then removing the paint from the unwanted areas. Depending on the badge I may mask off some of the badge so that you don't have as much paint to remove. I use a Rust-Oleum enamel paint to spray. Model paint or fingernail polish also work, flow well and they can be done in one coat. After the paint dries for a couple of days I remove it from the unwanted areas. Because you are painting over a chrome or smooth material I use a small piece of wood like a popsicle stick size to scrape the unwanted paint off. A flat end will work better that a round end to get into the corners. I have a few different ones that I made from oak. After you have removed the paint close to where you want I finish up the final edges. Do this by using a piece of cloth on the end of the wood stick or your finger pulled tight. Dip it in some lacquer thinner to just dampen it a bit, you don't want it running onto your good painted area. Use the dampen cloth to just go around and clean up the edges of the background paint.
          Jim D

Comment

I always used a brush right out of the paint cup.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Some great suggestions. I'll let you how it goes.

Comment

I just did this. I used 1-Shot pinstriping paint (Kool Crimson) on the clean chrome emblem, applied with a small pinstriping brush. That paint levels well and remains flexible because it has glycol in it, though it takes a long time to dry. It is less likely to crack later, around the screws. It looks flawless, far better than Testor’s model paint.

Comment

Emblem Paint

I have always heard that Indian only used Indian Red paint between the letters of the tank script on 1947-51 models and that they switched to black paint for the 1952-53 models. I have never heard why they switched colors though.

Originally posted by Lipdog View Post
                  I just did this. I used 1-Shot pinstriping paint (Kool Crimson) on the clean chrome emblem, applied with a small pinstriping brush. That paint levels well and remains flexible because it has glycol in it, though it takes a long time to dry. It is less likely to crack later, around the screws. It looks flawless, far better than Testor’s model paint.

Comment

I used a small paint brush.IMG_4200.jpgIMG_4203.jpgIMG_4204.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by motor-officer View Post
                      I have always heard that Indian only used Indian Red paint between the letters of the tank script on 1947-51 models and that they switched to black paint for the 1952-53 models. I have never heard why they switched colors though.
                      1-Shot Kool Crimson is a very close match to Indian Red.

Comment

Nice job! I don't think my hand is steady enough for the brush, but may give it a try.
                        Originally posted by larrymgibson View Post
                        I used a small paint brush.[ATTACH=CONFIG]29952[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29953[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29954[/ATTACH]

Comment

60998703633__1DDB2602-6A13-42EA-B9E9-593C9FD04BE0.jpg

Here's the photo of 1-Shot Kool Crimson

Comment

Put a coat of paste wax on the surface where you don't want the paint to stick. After the paint dries hot water and a brush removes the painted wax.
                            Be sure to visit;
                            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Lipdog, thanks for pic. Ordered some 1-Shot Kool Crimson.

Chris, thanks for tip on using paste wax. Will help with unsteady brush hand.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X