Two-row primary chain on J-model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two-row primary chain on J-model?

I have what I thought was a VL transmission, but discovered the chain adjusting system is not spaced right for a VL. It's a J-model trans. The number stamped into the transmission case is 28-9886.

The clutch that's attached has a two-row primary sprocket.

Is this in fact the right setup for a late J-model machine? When did J-models move to a two-row primary chain?IMG_7496.jpg

Thanks,

Walt Greenwood
    AMCA 5850

Walt
    No. That’s a 1926 JD transmission with a VL clutch fitted to it.
    JD’s used a single row primary chain throughout production.
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Dear Walt, late JD gearboxes are seen fairly often on VL project bikes, perhaps because there were more of them around. After about 1927 the gearboxes were not stamped as yours, so are even harder to tell apart from the VL ones. The adjuster bolt lug on the JD case can be cut and welded, but more usually is left as is with reliance on the lower fixing bolts to hold the box in place. Yours looks to have the longer VL clutch arm to clear the broader clutch, rather than a welded-up JD one. Good VL clutch drums are getting hard to find, so it's worth splitting the two components of the transmission. The guts of the gearbox fit the 1930 VL gearbox, with numerous components continuing to 1936.

Comment

Thanks for your guidance!!

Originally posted by MMasa View Post
        Walt
        No. That’s a 1926 JD transmission with a VL clutch fitted to it.
        JD’s used a single row primary chain throughout production.
        Mark
        Thanks, Mark!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
          Dear Walt, late JD gearboxes are seen fairly often on VL project bikes, perhaps because there were more of them around. After about 1927 the gearboxes were not stamped as yours, so are even harder to tell apart from the VL ones. The adjuster bolt lug on the JD case can be cut and welded, but more usually is left as is with reliance on the lower fixing bolts to hold the box in place. Yours looks to have the longer VL clutch arm to clear the broader clutch, rather than a welded-up JD one. Good VL clutch drums are getting hard to find, so it's worth splitting the two components of the transmission. The guts of the gearbox fit the 1930 VL gearbox, with numerous components continuing to 1936.
          Thanks, Steve! I have two editions of your VL guidebook. Helpful once again as I'm trimming my parts pile.

Comment

Working...
          X